Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Electrification

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1614903  by BandA

I'd rather see realistic, sensible legislation than fantasy talking points. This kind of unserious legislation makes the no-build option look good.
 #1615030  by MaineCoonCat

Disney Guy wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:08 pm A train might have two pantographs on different engines but the circuitry in each could be isolated from the other so both pans can be up without spanning the section break.
I would've thought that's what they would do, which is why I was surprised to learn how big the breaks are. Thanks!
 #1615155  by wicked

BandA wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:35 pm I'd rather see realistic, sensible legislation than fantasy talking points. This kind of unserious legislation makes the no-build option look good.
Exactly.

Anyone who knows anything about transportation, even the less-intelligent folks who may work at the T, know the timeline isn't realistic.

How about making the proposal a little more realistic?

It's like the Red Sox with Xander Bogaerts or John Lester. They gave low-ball, practically insulting offers to both. The players were like, "forget this, the team is not serious." They both left the team. The T sees this asinine timeline and isn't going to work with the Hill. They figure it's a waste of time.
 #1615232  by ElectricTraction

I think it's good to start with something aggressive, and work back from there. They should be able to get at least one or two Providence trains per day running electric in 23 months even if that's all the current electrical infrastructure can handle. Get the ball rolling, get stuff in the works, and build from there.
 #1615233  by CRail

Aggressive is good, and then with compromise and setbacks we still have progress. Unrealistic gets the concept laughed out of the room and we end up nowhere.
 #1615546  by wicked

ElectricTraction wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:30 am I think it's good to start with something aggressive, and work back from there. They should be able to get at least one or two Providence trains per day running electric in 23 months even if that's all the current electrical infrastructure can handle. Get the ball rolling, get stuff in the works, and build from there.
Aggressive is one thing. Living in fantasy land is another.
 #1641503  by mbrproductions

ARTICLE: "Goodbye diesel, hello electric. Battery-powered, improved service could be coming to MBTA’s commuter rail in 2027."

Link: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/03/24/ ... l-in-2027/
The MBTA appears to be committed to a date when electric trains will finally carry passengers on its commuter rail system: 2027.

The T’s commuter rail contractor, Keolis Commuter Services, wants to buy and operate battery electric trains on the Fairmount Line with 20-minute weekday and 30-minute weekend frequencies by then, according to a document the transit agency published last week. The document was first reported by StreetsBlog Mass.

Electric trains, common throughout much of the world, can accelerate faster and hit higher maximum speeds, and run quieter and cleaner than diesel.

Currently, the Fairmount Line’s diesel trains run every 45 minutes, at best, on weekdays and every 90 minutes on weekends.
 #1641552  by RandallW

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2024/03/16 ... mount-line is a similar article that is free. Keolis has proposed using battery trains on the Fairmount line for a more frequent service, and MBTA has put that proposal out to bid (probably for legal reasons, but it does mean another contractor could win it, or that the MBTA could decide that all bids are too expensive).
 #1641557  by wicked

I could win the lottery next week. I could be dating Scarlet Johansson by 2025. “Could” means squat.
 #1641563  by ConstanceR46

The way i see it, BE has 2 use-cases.

1. Shunting locomotives on primarily electric lines, using the batteries for "last-mile" service. This has been proven in the past with NYC's Tri-Power boxcabs, and is currently being evaluated by CRRC for their next generation of shunting locomotives.

2. A bit more hypothetical, but operating EMUs on stretches beyond electrified trackage, without the cost or parts infrastructure a full dual-mode setup. This is still novel, but has been used in Japan and is being introduced in Western Europe - with a failed retrofit plan for LIRR's M7 fleet. Personally, I think this would work best if, say, SEPTA's non-electric routes were to be reintroduced (as faint a hope that may be) - basically just extending the range at the end of a trip.

I personally do not think solutions like Metra's Battery F40s are ideal, or the way forward.
 #1641608  by ElectricTraction

ConstanceR46 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:18 pm The way i see it, BE has 2 use-cases.

1. Shunting locomotives on primarily electric lines, using the batteries for "last-mile" service. This has been proven in the past with NYC's Tri-Power boxcabs, and is currently being evaluated by CRRC for their next generation of shunting locomotives.
Yes. For small shortlines, industrial parks, yard switchers, and other start-stop short-range switching, absolutely.
2. A bit more hypothetical, but operating EMUs on stretches beyond electrified trackage, without the cost or parts infrastructure a full dual-mode setup. This is still novel, but has been used in Japan and is being introduced in Western Europe - with a failed retrofit plan for LIRR's M7 fleet. Personally, I think this would work best if, say, SEPTA's non-electric routes were to be reintroduced (as faint a hope that may be) - basically just extending the range at the end of a trip.

I personally do not think solutions like Metra's Battery F40s are ideal, or the way forward.
Dual-modes of any type just don't make sense for commuter/regional service. Dual-mode AC electric and diesel might make sense for Amtrak to introduce more routes on and off of the NEC. Commuter/regional should electrify out to where it's reasonable, and then make people switch at that point. Poughkeepsie/Albany, New Milford, Patchogue, Springfield, most/all of the MBTA, and other commuter rail systems should just be electrified.
 #1641610  by RandallW

MTA and predecessors have run dual modes for commuter services for 50 years and NJT has since 2010. Wouldn't MTA have replaced them during that time if they didn't make sense?
 #1641614  by RandallW

Why don't dual modes make sense for commuter operations?

The only advantage of not using them that I can think of is to make commuting by rail more expensive and more complex, or, put another way the only reason to require passengers to change trains midway through a commute is to discourage commuting by rail.