Railroad Forums 

• Rigby Yard — Activity, Sightings, and General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1443562  by Bulkheadflat

Over the past year or so I've been noticing a different type of open top highside hoppers coming thru Rigby. I'd seen them in large numbers around NYC and Long Island, as well as around the Boston region, where I believe they carry C&D waste, but never up here previously. They are usually black or grey, and generally have REGX, FWTX, WCTX and a few other reporting marks. They often arrive in groups of 6-12 in a row. I wonder if they are being set at a customer in Maine, or are some type of bridge traffic?
 #1521247  by MEC407

Suspicious item(s) found attached to railcar at Rigby Yard; South Portland Police and Fire called in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_-7jupWLsw
 #1608019  by MEC407

A few recent Rigby observations from 10-08-2022:

1. The big Pan Am Railways sign on the side of the yard office has finally been taken down.

2. Two or three office trailers have been placed in the parking lot.

3. It looks like CSX is gutting the inside of the yard office. Several of the windows were boarded up, and there were big plastic chutes from the top floor that empty into dumpsters below — the kind of setup you see when a building is having a major interior renovation and/or a mold/lead/asbestos remediation.

4. All of the ST-owned and ST-leased hi-rail vehicles are gone, replaced by CSX-owned and CSX-leased hi-rail vehicles — hi-rail pickup trucks, hi-rail dump trucks, hi-rail bucket trucks, and more.

5. A crew of about 10-12 workers was working near Tower PT but I couldn't see what they were doing.

6. Many yard tracks have been removed, as has already been discussed in either the CSX track upgrades thread or the CSX takeover thread (I can't recall which).

7. The ancient MEC Jordan Spreader is still behind the yard office. (I wonder if it'll stay or if CSX will get rid of it.) Two white Guilford boxcars are still behind the office, too.

8. An LTEX (ex-CP) GP9R, still in CP red paint, was parked in front of the yard office.
 #1608119  by A215

MEC407 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:00 am 4. All of the ST-owned and ST-leased hi-rail vehicles are gone, replaced by CSX-owned and CSX-leased hi-rail vehicles — hi-rail pickup trucks, hi-rail dump trucks, hi-rail bucket trucks, and more.
Same trucks, just had the globes removed and relettered for CSX. The number is still the same and they read North Billerica, MA as well.
 #1608146  by CPF66

They got quite a few new Chevy 2500's and Ford F-250's over the winter. But to the east of Rigby, they are still running a good fleet of 2014-2018 era Chevy 2500's and 3500's.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1608147  by CPF66

Another quick note is most of the new highrails they have been getting are "Pan Am" spec trucks with regular style pick up beds. Atleast from what I saw while living in Mass, CSX religiously bought trucks with tool beds (the boxy cabinet type deals).
 #1614686  by MEC407

In addition to the new metal roofs that have been installed on the yard office building and Tower PT, I noticed yesterday that the east end of the yard office has a new addition. Looked like it was made of concrete, and it had a hipped roof (similar to the main building's roof). No windows, which kind of makes it look like an elevator shaft, but it's slightly wider and deeper than a typical elevator shaft would be, so I'm not sure if that's actually what it is or if that's just what it looks like. Maybe windows will be added later.

Seems like CSX has serious plans for Rigby Yard, and it doesn't look like they're half-assing any of it. What a nice change of pace!
 #1615467  by MEC407

Here's a recent photo of the Rigby yard office. This is the back of the building, viewed from Rumery St. The new roof and new windows are clearly visible, and if you zoom in you can see the concrete addition on the east side of the building.

Tower PT also has brand new windows, so they're definitely planning on using it for something. :-D
Attachments:
IMG_5574.jpg
IMG_5574.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 795 times