Railroad Forums 

• Amherst Show 2023

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1612867  by dcm74

The Amherst Railway Society's Annual Railroad Hobby show is coming soon, January 28 & 29, at the Eastern States Exposition grounds in West Springfield, MA. There will be 4 buildings, with more than 35o vendors and exhibitors, as well as more than 50 operating layouts in all scales. Show information is available at: www.railroadhobbyshow.com
Advance ticket purchase is available.
 #1612935  by NaugyRR

I got my wristbands in the mail on Thursday. I'm pretty excited to go, I haven't been since high school. My fiance wasn't bored at the show at the plaza in Albany last year, so this will be a true test of her patience lol.

I'm really looking forward to stopping by the Rapido booth and chatting with them, and to see their samples. I'm also excited to see the little narrow gauge engine from Maine.
 #1613579  by NaugyRR

For the most part. I've got my wad of "Santa" money from the Holidays ready to go lol.

There's a couple Morning Sun books I'd like to snag, and of course any HO and OO scale models that catch my eye, although I doubt there'll be much OO. I think I'm one of the few modelers in the States that actually collects trains from the UK.

If I find an Atlas Providence & Worcester B39 I'll be a really happy camper! lol
 #1613790  by dcm74

Latest update: Edaville #11 will be operating under steam for both days of the show.
 #1613833  by NaugyRR

Atlas Trains will have their Winter 2023 catalog available to attendees, ahead of public release

https://shop.atlasrr.com/b-come-see-atl ... -show.aspx
 #1613849  by umtrr-author

Naugy, I know Pine Plains is a bit of a haul from the Greater Toronto Area, but the "Greater Toronto Train Show" has been a place to find OO models. One of my friends was looking for a Mallard and I had several from which to choose, for example. (Given my affection for "NCIS" it was hard to resist buying myself one.)

However, after three years of COVID-related cancellations, the current team is looking for a new group to take over the show... so I don't know whether there will be another iteration.

We now return you to the anticipation for the Amherst Show, already in progress...
 #1613904  by dcm74

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:20 am Looking forward to my first show this year! Going on Saturday.
Go both days if you can. It's difficult to take it all in on one day.
 #1613910  by dcm74

One more week. Long-range weather forecast looks good. Have your shopping list and your comfortable shoes ready.
 #1613921  by NaugyRR

umtrr-author wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:55 pm Naugy, I know Pine Plains is a bit of a haul from the Greater Toronto Area, but the "Greater Toronto Train Show" has been a place to find OO models. One of my friends was looking for a Mallard and I had several from which to choose, for example. (Given my affection for "NCIS" it was hard to resist buying myself one.)

However, after three years of COVID-related cancellations, the current team is looking for a new group to take over the show... so I don't know whether there will be another iteration.

We now return you to the anticipation for the Amherst Show, already in progress...
Thanks for the tip umtrr! My fiance and I are actually looking at taking our honeymoon in Toronto now that the Maple Leaf is running again, so I may be able to talk her into going during the show, if and when they decide to do another. In the meantime I've found eBay to be decent, and stores like The Model Centre, Rails of Sheffield, and Kernow Model Centre all ship to the US quickly and at reasonable cost. I've also been taking advantage of the current low value of the Pound lately, and filling in some gaps in my collection that would normally be a fortune at the regular exchange rate.

Back to the topic of Amherst, in the flyer dcm just posted, is that a light up FL9 poster on the bottom right? I would 100% buy one!
 #1614518  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Virtual Railfan will have their live webcam and coverage at the ARS Show on Youtube -
Preview video (26:07): www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tWj60qbO0o
www.virtualrailfan.com

The weather at the time of this post in the Springfield, MA area looks to be decent for travelers this year...
An indication can be found on the Westfield, MA rail web cam - less than 10 miles from the ESEC "Big E":
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-zPJcslaro

To everyone attending: Enjoy!!!
MACTRAXX
 #1614659  by NaugyRR

Here's my haul from today's (Sunday) show...
I couldn't believe how inexpensive so many Morning Sun books were there. Granted my "To Read" pile is now a tower, but there are worse things than having an excess of books lol.

How'd the rest of you guys and gals make out? Nothing really struck me as "had to have" for HO models, other than some things I already have on pre-order. I spent some time talking to the guys at the Atlas and Rapido booths, they were all super nice. The HO scale NEC layout was awesome, and all the details in the Lego display were amazing.
 #1614684  by Jeff Smith

I was there on Saturday for my first time. Man, that's a lot of walking. Great show, lots of exhibitors. I ended up renewing my membership with NHRTA, and came away with four issues of Shoreliner. Good stuff.