Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's last day

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1614065  by newpylong

CSX purchased the railroad on 6/1 and at that that point had control. They are still being integrated into CSX and that's going to take a while but Pan Am is history.
 #1614082  by ST377

With the rumors of milepost and symbol changes supposedly taking place at 0001 Monday the railfan community has been a little crazy this week. The Pan Am has been gone for 6 months.
 #1614083  by RandallW

Could they be referring to the fact that PAR operations are becoming CSX operations? Just because CSX owns PAR doesn't necessarily mean that PAR ceased to exist as a legal or operating entity from the moment of purchase.
 #1614095  by F74265A

As far as I know, the new labor agreements have not been finished so the full integration cannot happen tomorrow no matter what. That said, it’s been 100% a csx controlled operation since the day of the closing
 #1614097  by F74265A

I’m confident that tomorrow the NS trains coming to Ayer will look exactly the same and 426/427 will look exactly the same. Maybe they put in a different rule book and different milepost designations and perhaps train designations overnight but I’m betting that little else changes until the B&E starts up.
 #1614099  by CN9634

69300793-ED97-41AA-9FAE-AB5606186B58.jpeg
69300793-ED97-41AA-9FAE-AB5606186B58.jpeg (706.9 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
 #1614101  by F74265A

So customer interface and billing switches to csx system. Ok. I still don’t think train operations will change.
 #1614103  by CN9634

The operations will change although it’s not clear if that’s day 1 tomorrow for the crews or phased in over the next few days. The crews I had spoken with are seeing the changes in their tablets so they’re as ready as they can be but no official bulletin yet. I’ve seen the new divisions (Waterville, Portland, Nashua and Worcester) and mile markers. Split is Royal Jct between Waterville Sub, Portland Division and Brunswick a branch under the Portland Sun. Other lines are branches within a respective sub.
 #1614105  by newpylong

Are you sure the branches aren't also going to be sub-divisions as well? These used to be called "Secondaries" but it is now CSX SOP to treat any trackage that uses TWC or CTC as a sub-division. Industrial tracks are treated the same as the ST - verbal authority only required.

So the Freight Main would be split into different subs along with the Northern and Worcester mains . The Hinkley, Rumford, Brunswick, Portsmouth branches would also be subs as well as they are DCS. Then there are the sprinklings of Industrials mixed in.

At least that's if they keep the same logic as the rest of the system.
 #1614125  by Firetiger58

Since the June take over PAR has operated as usual. With the exception of M427 and M426.
At some point they will have to change to CSX train symbols, rules etc.
Dropping the Pan Am name and image all together.
 #1614127  by CN9634

newpylong wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:47 pm Are you sure the branches aren't also going to be sub-divisions as well? . . .

That wasn’t exactly clear but other documentation I’ve seen lists each branch under one of the four sub codes but they have their own mileage and naming convention. Also the Portland sub PLD miles seems to actually start at Yarmouth Jct from the newer stuff I’ve seen and not at Royal. The new symbols are internal for now, no doubt to get them into the computers and folks used to them before mass chaos
 #1614155  by F74265A

The operational change I’m watching for is how csx/pAs-B&E ultimately handles interchange on the east end. From a rail fan perspective, the edpo train handles this function but not in a way that looks like 2 separate railroads
 #1614158  by johnpbarlow

Here’s what I would do if I were in charge at B&E (note that I don’t even operate a model RR): :wink:
1. Move 11R/16R P&W interchange traffic to a 3 day/week EDWO/WOED run through train eliminating convoluted/time consuming pick-ups and set-outs at Gardner. As a bonus it would be good if a single G&W crew could run through as well.
2. Abolish EDPO/POED and include their traffic in 11R/16R on a daily basis as blocks to be interchanged with CSX at Ayer to be handled by M426/M427 to from Lawrence/Rigby.
3. Plan for the eventual re-routing of IM trains 264/265 to the southern route (including the movement of Sanvel autoracks as proposed to and approved by the STB).