Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1611355  by pdtrains

1. Its a good thing they did transfer operations of the SOUS?FIT to NJSL. They are severely undercapitalized, and couldnt afford to contribute to the trackwork that is going on now.

2. Also, their dockets of unpaid back taxes to the state of NJ would have to be settled 1st, too.

3. this crossing signal stuff could easily be one of those budgeted things that gets done whether u need it or not, cause its budgeted.
4. if this is north (east) of the TRIT connection, then its CSAO territory...not clayton?NJSL, at least as i understand it.
 #1612706  by JohnFromJersey

pdtrains wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:06 pm 1. Its a good thing they did transfer operations of the SOUS?FIT to NJSL. They are severely undercapitalized, and couldnt afford to contribute to the trackwork that is going on now.

2. Also, their dockets of unpaid back taxes to the state of NJ would have to be settled 1st, too.

3. this crossing signal stuff could easily be one of those budgeted things that gets done whether u need it or not, cause its budgeted.
4. if this is north (east) of the TRIT connection, then its CSAO territory...not clayton?NJSL, at least as i understand it.
1. Not sure I agree with NJSL/CMSL being "severely undercapitalized," IIRC, CMSL in South Jersey has a fair amount of locomotives at their disposal, and those locomotives seem to be newer and/or in better shape than some of the locomotives that have been used on the FIT and SOUS by DRRR. That being said DRRR locomotives seem to be used far more often and on a regular basis than CMSL locomotives at this time. Also, DRRR's track work, IIRC, is being funded with grant money, not sure how much of their own money is going into that...

2. That didn't stop them from getting control of the Beesley Point Secondary from CSAO, which is similar length to the FIT and SOUS on their own.

4. Correct, the TRIT is CSAO territory, but DRRR is responsible for that, per the signs that have popped up on TRIT crossings. Not sure if DRRR has any plans for the TRIT in the near future, if ever - most of the old customers from the 90s from the TRIT are gone or don't appear to really need the rail service, and a lot of the potential lots alongside the TRIT that could be used for industrial use are getting bought up and used for other commercial or residential purposes.
There was a rumor that DRRR wanted to put a transloading facility somewhere along the TRIT...
 #1612743  by Ken W2KB

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:39 am 1. Not sure I agree with NJSL/CMSL being "severely undercapitalized," IIRC, CMSL in South Jersey has a fair amount of locomotives at their disposal, and those locomotives seem to be newer and/or in better shape than some of the locomotives that have been used on the FIT and SOUS by DRRR.
A current New Jersey Upper Court judgment search reveals that CMSL has close to 20 open judgments against CMSL, some for tens of thousands of dollars, about two-third of the judgments for taxes owed to the State, and the rest to non-government plaintiffs. That supports the questionable financial condition.
 #1614000  by Ken W2KB

Generally that means the judgment may have been other than a monetary nature. Judgments last forever until paid so a creditor would never release a claim that has reached judgment status. When a judgment is fully satisfied (paid) it will be listed as "closed" but the dollar amount will still be listed. "Open" means not satisfied, or paperwork proving satisfaction was not filed with the court.
Last edited by Ken W2KB on Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1614001  by Ken W2KB

pateljones wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:06 am Do you have a link to the court judgements?
Because of the site's security cannot link directly to the judgments. You need to conduct a search using at least part of the name of the railroad and another search using the railroad owner's name as I recall at least a couple of the judgments may have been against the owner personally. Here is the link to the search site: https://portal.njcourts.gov/webe40/Judg ... arch.faces
 #1614002  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:44 pm Just on these judgements, lately the part on them that states the amount owed has been dropping to $0 depending on the specific judgement. Does that mean CMSL is paying off the debt or have the owed parties given up on collecting the money?
Can you give me the judgment number of one that dropped to $0? I'll look at it.