Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1611824  by ConwayScenic252

While I would say it would be a great idea to have the notch train board at N/S road, there are a few issues with that.

First they would need engines on both end or one positioned at redstone for the move back to conway. They can’t shove back since they have no cab car-type deal here. And as we know 255 and 216 carried the operations this summer. We know what happens when one breaks down…

Secondly it would take a bit to create a platform-type station there. This isn’t an Attitash where one or two passengers are getting on, we have five cars of people boarding so there would be need to accommodate for more space. Maybe a movable platform over the siding they can move for railfan weekend (which doesn’t even happen anymore sadly)?

Conway Station is a good option, we’ve seen it done before, but do we really want to add an extra 30-45 minutes to the excursion?
 #1611835  by b&m 1566

There isn't enough room off Depot Rd to handle everyday boarding and unboarding of passengers. There's no room for parking and no room for any type of a station. If I recall correctly, that tiny platform was put in place for the (never materialized) shuttle trains, to and from the Red Stone. The reality is the only location that could handle a high volume of people aside from N. Conway, is Conway. You can'include Glen or Bartlett because and there's no place to park.
 #1611837  by Red Wing

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. The marketing team would have to be very vocal to customers, people are so used to going to North Conway they would have to make doubly sure that the customer knows where they go. For the Valley train North Conway seems ideal because that train turns into the Sawyer turn if I remember. Conway for special excursions and maybe a more traditional dinner train could be an idea.
 #1611865  by shadyjay

b&m 1566 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 am There isn't enough room off Depot Rd to handle everyday boarding and unboarding of passengers. There's no room for parking and no room for any type of a station. If I recall correctly, that tiny platform was put in place for the (never materialized) shuttle trains, to and from the Red Stone. The reality is the only location that could handle a high volume of people aside from N. Conway, is Conway. You can'include Glen or Bartlett because and there's no place to park.
This is the existing platform/parking area I was referring to:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0480039 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It seemed to have no problem accomodating a (I think it was a) "Conway Scenic official" railfan trip, the Day White Mountains. And if it can't now, looks like it could be made a little bigger.
 #1611907  by CSRR573

shadyjay, back in those "Golden Era" "Day White Mountains" trips, the notch consist for those trips were 5 maybe 6 cars and im pretty sure the Carrol Reed didn't fit on the platform. And of course that train was never sold out so parking wasn't a problem. No doubt a 9 car sold out notch train would block depot road and no way that lot could accommodate all the cars and possible coaches that show up
 #1611964  by Who

In theory they could reverse the Conway bound trains and leave the Mountaineer to board in North Conway. A couple of things with this scenario, staffing would be needed in Conway and a potential 2nd gift shop. With the Mountaineer departure in the afternoon, it might be possible to have a morning run to Sawyers River with that train, a Sawyer River train from Conway would be too long of a ride. I'm getting way ahead of myself in this thought process, but I'm bored so here it is. Using their current schedule as a template, they might be able to get six departures out of N. Conway/Conway boarding locations, three morning and three afternoons: Two AM's - Conway to N. Conway and return, one N. Conway to Sawyer River and return. In the afternoons one Conway to Bartlett and return, one N. Conway to Crawford's (Fabyan's in the Fall) and return and then finish out with one Conway to N. Conway and return.
 #1612740  by ConwayScenic252

I have some information about the Mass Bay event.
There will be five scheduled photo run-bys. There will be two cars to disembark at a time. There will also be photo stops for photographers that will correspond with the run-bys. There are four cars on the train, and the Mt Washington car will be on the east end as a snack car.
Consist West - East:
Rhonda Lee; CP Reed; Dorthea Mae; Mount Bemis; Mt Washington (not open to passengers). Train will leave at 10:30 and will return at 5:00. 255 or 252 will lead the train north to Notchland.
 #1612766  by Who

They need to turn the engines, the majority of the folks attending will want to photograph 4268 for the run-bys not 4266. Right now, 4266 will be the star of the show if they don't turn the engines.
 #1612915  by Jonathan

ConwayScenic252 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:38 pm I have some information about the Mass Bay event.
There will be five scheduled photo run-bys. There will be two cars to disembark at a time. There will also be photo stops for photographers that will correspond with the run-bys. There are four cars on the train, and the Mt Washington car will be on the east end as a snack car.
Consist West - East:
Rhonda Lee; CP Reed; Dorthea Mae; Mount Bemis; Mt Washington (not open to passengers). Train will leave at 10:30 and will return at 5:00. 255 or 252 will lead the train north to Notchland.
What are the 5 photo locations? Im guessing Notchland, Cobb Farm Road, Glen ellis and woodland pines are among them.
 #1613257  by NHV 669

CSRX has acquired former RBBX 43004, it is stenciled as CSRX 400019. Car was on the rear of today's M426 into Maine. The car is originally a 44 seat coach built as UP 5533.
 #1613296  by b&m 1566

Any idea what the plan is for the incoming car? I assume this car will be stored at New Hampshire Central until spring.
 #1613298  by NHV 669

Beats me. I'd heard a little about the new dome in advance, but nothing about this car. Given our mild winter and Dave's last attempt with more snow, I wouldn't put it past him to try again.