Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1611272  by Lackawanna565

I see Amtrak is installing welded rail on the center track between Thorn and Glen Interlocking. I wonder if Amtrak is going to use the track and install it back to Paoli.
 #1611296  by CNJGeep

Lackawanna565 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 pm I see Amtrak is installing welded rail on the center track between Thorn and Glen Interlocking. I wonder if Amtrak is going to use the track and install it back to Paoli.
Only to Glen. This gives them a way to get SEPTA trains or the NS local out of the way of Amtrak. It will be good for 60.
 #1611307  by Train60

Lackawanna565 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:35 pm I see Amtrak is installing welded rail on the center track between Thorn and Glen Interlocking. I wonder if Amtrak is going to use the track and install it back to Paoli.
Within this document, from the NEC Commission's website, you see that details of every planned project for the NEC segment between Philly and Harrisburg:

http://nec-commission.com/app/uploads/2 ... Oct-22.pdf

The document is 629 pages long, so I'd recommend searching on the word "harrisburg"
 #1611359  by Lackawanna565

CNJGeep wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:31 am
Only to Glen. This gives them a way to get SEPTA trains or the NS local out of the way of Amtrak. It will be good for 60.
I found plans to put in a new interlocking near Exton station. I wonder if Amtrak will run trains on track from Caln to the new one to get around slower SEPTA trains
 #1611402  by PHLSpecial

Train60 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:39 pm Within this document, from the NEC Commission's website, you see that details of every planned project for the NEC segment between Philly and Harrisburg:

http://nec-commission.com/app/uploads/2 ... Oct-22.pdf

The document is 629 pages long, so I'd recommend searching on the word "harrisburg"
Reading some of the stations upgrades with more parking is the opposite of what needs to be done. I think it's a waste of money add more parking into this stations along the Keystone corridor.

Also has there been a study done where Amtrak and Septa formed a partnership on the the Keystone line where Septa be extended out to Lancaster?
This would be similar to the Hartford line.
The reason I picked Lancaster because I believe some crews are qualified out to Lancaster. Septa trainsets should include a bathroom.
 #1611479  by rcthompson04

Lancaster definitely needs more parking. I occasionally go there (get off the train there if my wife is already there visiting family or driving by there when in the area) and the station lot seems almost always at capacity.
 #1611641  by CNJGeep

I don't have the article handy but Amtrak has requested to retire the automatics between Park and Roy
 #1611672  by NotYou

PHLSpecial wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:07 pm Reading some of the stations upgrades with more parking is the opposite of what needs to be done. I think it's a waste of money add more parking into this stations along the Keystone corridor.
What's your reasoning for adding parking being a waste? A large number, I would guess a majority, of the line's users are driving to it from suburban and rural areas. Is there enough parking at most stations now?

rcthompson04 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:11 pm Lancaster definitely needs more parking. I occasionally go there (get off the train there if my wife is already there visiting family or driving by there when in the area) and the station lot seems almost always at capacity.
It's been that way since at least 2005. I am surprised they never built a garage. They lost an opportunity when they didn't buy the hotel on the north side of the tracks, think it's a shopping center now.
 #1611760  by electricron

WashingtonPark wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:26 pm
scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:10 pm
CNJGeep wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:31 am I don't have the article handy but Amtrak has requested to retire the automatics between Park and Roy
https://www.rtands.com/passenger/interc ... t-signals/
Just curious. What happens when the PTC goes down?
Depends upon how badly it goes down......
At best, proceed at very slow speeds as if seeing a proceed slow signal. Slow enough to stop before hitting anything on the track like any other type of train in unsignalized territiry.
 #1612700  by blizzard

On 12/25, I was on Keystone 663, having boarded at PHL. Apparently the train made it from NYP to PHL on time, but after departing 30th Street, just before Overbook the train ground to a halt for several minutes, only to resume, slowly, eventually making it to Ardmore a bit late. After leaving Ardmore, it stopped again for a few minutes, only to resume again slowly, then stop again a short distance from Paoli. After several minutes, power in the cars went off for a few minutes, and eventually came back on again.

The conductor told us there was an issue with the engine which was causing the brakes to engage when not desired, and they were working to fix it but not having much luck. The train eventually managed to limp its way to Paoli, where after about 30 minutes we were told that we'd be getting off the train to board the next train (43). Another 30 minutes later, 663 backed away into the siding and the 663 passengers were able to board the Pennsylvanian to continue journeys westbound.

A few things I was wondering:
- If it was truly an engine problem with the ACS-64 couldn't they have brought a replacement from Philly?
- Would lack of staffing made the above a challenge, given it was Christmas?
- Was it more likely a problem in one of the cars, or the cab car?
- How much were the cold temps to blame for this?
 #1612717  by STrRedWolf

blizzard wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:09 am A few things I was wondering:
- If it was truly an engine problem with the ACS-64 couldn't they have brought a replacement from Philly?
Yes, assuming the replacement and an engineer/brakeman was available.
- Would lack of staffing made the above a challenge, given it was Christmas?
Always. Christmas and Thanksgiving are heavy load days, so much that pre-pandemic they would borrow from MARC (and sometimes NJ Transit) to make extra consists. No cafe car on them, and usually between DC and NYC. This year... well... they could of used a lot more trains and staff.
- Was it more likely a problem in one of the cars, or the cab car?
It's possible that one of the cars may be leaking brake pressure, since it is air brakes on these cars. Did you notice if a conductor was outside inspecting the brakes?
- How much were the cold temps to blame for this?
Probably unknown until a full investigation is performed.

Still, I would of gotten a rescue diesel on that consist ASAP.