Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1610626  by eolesen

Your lifestyle status has no bearing whatsoever here.

But I can certainly empathize with the moderators of the other forums. They probably got tired of seeing the multiple threads posted daily for whatever random passing thought was going through your mind at that particular moment, which is what you've done here for the past three weeks...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1610649  by GirlOnTheTrain

sextant wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:22 pm Tired of me mentioning my LGBTQ status and having my posts killed by the Editors of Trains and Model railroader and other forums...But here is a man who was a columnist who lived thru the McCarthy Era and openly gay with a partner -
https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/lusci ... uper-chief
And what, exactly does your sexual orientation have to do with trains? No wonder they delete your posts...it's called being on topic.
 #1610685  by sextant

I want to hang out with like-minded people who enjoy my hobby...Seems fare especially when I live in a hetronormalitive society.. I also think that a girls railroad club would be a good idea as well since this hobby is male dominated by the personality types that also go to Star Trek Conventions
 #1610687  by NaugyRR

sextant wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:31 pm since this hobby is male dominated by the personality types that also go to Star Trek Conventions
And that isn't equally offensive to the rest of us? GoT makes a good point, why do you have to be a gay railfan or a girl railfan or any other such label? The point is we're all railfans and enjoy a hobby together, I don't care if you're gay/straight/male/female/trans/black/brown/blue/purple/Canadian. Yes there are definitely some grumpier and less welcoming members of our community as a whole (which is a part of every hobby and interest community), but segmenting people out into their own clubs and groups defeats the purpose of 'community'.
 #1610694  by eolesen

Trying to get people to empathize with your situation by insulting them isn't likely to win a lot of support.

I've worked side by side with gay and trans volunteers at the railroad museum. As long as they could turn a wrench, hold a welding torch or follow hand signals, that's all that mattered. They also didn't find it necessary to seek validation for their personal lifestyle from others while engaging in our mutual hobby.

Shouldn't be any different here. We're here to talk about trains. Not Trans.

This type of thread is a perfect example of why you see other forums shutting down discussions that start to drift into what we called the Three G's... God, guns or gays. All three of those drifts usually end badly.

The fourth G is Government, although with transit requiring government funding, it's hard not to involve that here sparingly...
 #1610695  by HenryAlan

Cool article, next time I'm in Sacramento, I'll have to take a look at the Gold Coast car.

A lot of people here will mention non-railfan aspects of their lives, whether it be an enjoyment of sports, enthusiasm for cars, etc. I'd ignore the folks who go out of their way to tell you they are just fine with who you are, so long as you don't tell them who you are. The rest of us will still enjoy the content.