• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

Moderator Note:

Please continue the discussion of the Flying Yankee in the official Flying Yankee topic, which can be found here:

https://www.railroad.net/the-flying-yankee-t5799.html
  by CSRR4266

I believe it’s awaiting a new traction motor which is enroute, along with new wheels, also enroute.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by CSRR573

They dont swap out the motors and wheels as a combo unit? Thats how we do the P42's, can swap out both combo units in a truck in about 2 hours, and thats using jacks.
  by NHV 669

They had a couple GEs ages ago... it's probably easier for parts to have a standardized fleet, than to say they're "against" a certain builder.
  by ConwayScenic252

RustyLynx wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:16 pm Is the CSRX all EMD, and against ALCO locomotives?
Allow me to quote Brian Solomon when the purchase of #255 was made:

“We are keeping up with our all-EMD fleet.”
  by p42thedowneaster

I think it's even more focused than just EMD only....I think it's gone specifically "2nd Gen EMD" and with low range dynamics.

Based on the last couple seasons I could see 1751 and the Budd car hit the trail to make way for another former Mec GP38. 573 would stay on the roster, but only as a last resort back up...or just for fun on specials.

And even though they seem to prefer 2nd gen EMD, I would say if the 470 club acquired an ALCo or GE they would happily run it for specials as they do with the F7s and freight cars.
  by CSRR573

Looks Like Silver Cascade and Chocorua have returned to service as well
  by Who

There was a private charter this past weekend, for the family of the late Rudy Hood. They boarded Millie with the 4266 and 4268 on each end, for a ride to and from Crawford's(?). On the return trip they met the regular scheduled Mountaineer at Sawyers River and the Valley train in Bartlett.