Railroad Forums 

• Port covington swing bridge

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1608846  by scratchyX1

Why was the bridge left open, when it looks like no boats go that far north?
It looks like it's so silted over, that basin isn't that deep anymore.
Any one know how deep it is? Asking as making a light rail branch to port covington after replacing burned trestle bents should not be that hard if it's shallow.
 #1608879  by RandallW

Should there be marine traffic (primarily to maintain other bridges in the area), it's better to leave an unused bridge to nowhere open rather than closed, as it would have to be maintained to be openable. The USGS map of the area shows the railroad from Port Covington only extending to the bridge opening, and not across it (I can't tell who owns the bridge or western approaches).

Do note the existing light rail begins climbing to cross other tracks where the line that used to continue west of the bridge curves south.
 #1609004  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:48 pm Why was the bridge left open, when it looks like no boats go that far north?
It looks like it's so silted over, that basin isn't that deep anymore.
Any one know how deep it is? Asking as making a light rail branch to port covington after replacing burned trestle bents should not be that hard if it's shallow.
You mean the Locust Point Bridge that goes nowhere on the western side (namely because someone tore up the track and put a power station there)? You might as well consider it abandoned... and the area around the east side's a mess too. I doubt the Baltimore Sun's even getting paper delivery by rail now. I think the naval access would be to Wheelabrator and the Trash Wheel there.

Routing Light Rail down that line... possible, but I'd reconstruct the whole mess more north with a higher bridge and have it snake under McComas to meet existing track to Port Covington and the Cruise Terminal.