Railroad Forums 

• “Transforming Rail in Virginia”

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1608596  by west point

KTHW wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:11 pm Interesting update out of the VPRA meeting. It looks like VRE is planning "core shuttles" between ALX and WAS once the new Long Bridge is completed.
Another reason why the whole Long Bridge project needs to be started and completed as soon as possible. IMO that means Critical path work should be made a 24 / 7 priority.
 #1608598  by scratchyX1

Do i recall correctly that only one train at a time is allowed in first street tunnel due to ventilation issues?
How many tph can the tunnel clear?
I'm under the impression this shuttle service wouldn't be using the current galley and locomotive equipment.
 #1608673  by west point

As far as I recall the one train at a time is correct. Now does that mean each tunnel bore is dispatched one train each way at same time have no idea. That would probably be determined if the 2 bores are connected. The tunnel is grandfarther with this layout. A new tunnel with 2 bores will require all the ventilation and emergency egress either to surface or the other bore. IMO what would be ideal is running new bores adjaecent to present one and connect ventilation and egress to present tunnel.

The union station portal was shown as being brick lined. Now if the whole tunnel(s) bore is brick lined it will be interesting.
 #1608680  by scratchyX1

https://youtu.be/ZZDKpSApo1s
It's brick/ stone lined single bores all the way through. I think there are recessed arches for emergency purposes.
So I guess dispatch is per bore. I've been told that a new tunnel is unlikely, due to national security, and the tunnels can't be expanded as they are built right over wmata.
So, looks like any EMU would need on board batteries to clear tunnels.
 #1608692  by STrRedWolf

To be clear, the 1st Street Tunnel passes next to Congress, the Supreme court, the Library of Congress buldings, and many Congressional office buildings. So even modifications to allow more traffic is unlikely. You're more likely to get a wye-like link off the NEC near Cheverly than any new tunnels.
 #1608706  by west point

ST and SCRATCHY: Thanks for those clarifications as was not sure about them. I always worry about the brick arch techniques because just a few bricks fail together ---?

As far as maintenance in those bores no comment.
 #1608778  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:41 pm Yeah. Just the "We can't expand it to electrify or do more bores because Homeland Security has issues" made me say "Okay, double-tracking the CSX line out to the NEC line itself makes more sense now..."
I seem to recall references to a "metro express" from new carrollton to alexandria on greatergreaterwashington a few years ago. Would make sense for a service to get folks around downtown DC, with just a stop at the rebuilt L'efant station.
Anyone know it the new tunnels are tall enough to have wire over double stacks?
Also, Hitachi will have a plant in maryland, and I know they do have EMU and DMU in their catalogue.
 #1608814  by electricron

MikeBPRR wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:00 pm I never knew that regarding the platforms and VRE’s equipment. Thank you. I just assumed that since Virginia has been investing a lot in its railroads that they were also using high-level platforms and equipment compatible with level boarding. Serves me right. Looking at Google Maps, it doesn’t look like there is much in the way of space for expanded VRE storage.
The easiest train storage solution is to turn a few trains around during the day between the morning and evening rush hours, assuming VRE can get access to the rail corridor then. Adding tracks along the shared right of way on both NS and CSX routes in VRE territory would go a long way in overcoming the freight railroads displeasure. But that takes money the VRE does not have lots of.
 #1609040  by KTHW

In the DRPT monthly news letter, the state shared that they are rapidly advancing the NEPA process for a 4th track from Alexandria to Spotsylvania. This would build on the existing DC2RVA framework and mean a complete separation of passenger and freight trains in the next 10-15 years.
 #1627247  by west point

There is propagable going to be needed some revision of the "S" line work. All the EIS' statement assumed a 110 MPH service with P-42s. Some of the designs looked at higher speed CAT service. Now that Brightline proved the Chargers can go at least 125 and maybe more the new Amtrak setup may call for a rethink by at least VA and maybe also NC/
 #1627255  by jthomas

west point wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:52 pm There is propagable going to be needed some revision of the "S" line work. All the EIS' statement assumed a 110 MPH service with P-42s. Some of the designs looked at higher speed CAT service. Now that Brightline proved the Chargers can go at least 125 and maybe more the new Amtrak setup may call for a rethink by at least VA and maybe also NC/
My sense in reading between the lines on this project is that it is being designed for a higher speed than 110 mph, even though that is the number that has been put out there. For instance, I believe the line will be fully grade separated (maybe save for a handful of crossings in town centers where speed would be restricted anyway). Jason Orthner of the NC Rail Division also recently stated that the right of way and structures are being designed to receive overhead electrification in the future. One would have to look at the design curve radii to deduce the actual design speed they are allowing for. Also, this project was originally described as being shared between passenger and freight, but I wonder if it will become passenger-only now that NC and VA fully own the ROW.

It has been a while since I read the EIS, so I could be off on the details, but I believe this line is targeting speeds higher than 110 at some point in the future.
 #1628478  by Shortline614

KTHW wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:11 pm Interesting update out of the VPRA meeting. It looks like VRE is planning "core shuttles" between ALX and WAS once the new Long Bridge is completed. They would use the small yard south of ALX to lay over (presumably with MARC trains as well). I've been advocating for this for a while, but hopefully these (bi directional) frequencies will move us a step closer to turning the core VRE line into essentially another metro line
I know this is an older post but I have a question? What exact purpose would VRE shuttles between Alexandria and Union Station serve? I understand bringing MARC to Alexandria but to me these shuttles seem like a near direct duplication of existing Metro services. The only real benefit I see is eliminating a single Metro transfer from the blue to red lines for Union Station passengers.

-Shortline
 #1628482  by electricron

west point wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:52 pm There is propagable going to be needed some revision of the "S" line work. All the EIS' statement assumed a 110 MPH service with P-42s. Some of the designs looked at higher speed CAT service. Now that Brightline proved the Chargers can go at least 125 and maybe more the new Amtrak setup may call for a rethink by at least VA and maybe also NC/
Not li9kely. The S Line has 468 grade crossings. Would it be safe to assume 90% of them are at grade? it would cost too much to eliminate all of them. Brightline is only going 125 mph in Florida on a completely grade separate track within a turnpike's right-of way, The S Line does not follow a controlled access highway at all. Farms, manufacturing plants, towns, cities, and states have roads or highways crossing it. That's why they have propose 110 mph max speeds, neither state has the money to eliminate all those hundreds of grade crossings.
https://railroads.dot.gov/sites/fra.dot ... ummary.pdf
 #1628551  by scratchyX1

Shortline614 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:44 pm
KTHW wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:11 pm Interesting update out of the VPRA meeting. It looks like VRE is planning "core shuttles" between ALX and WAS once the new Long Bridge is completed. They would use the small yard south of ALX to lay over (presumably with MARC trains as well). I've been advocating for this for a while, but hopefully these (bi directional) frequencies will move us a step closer to turning the core VRE line into essentially another metro line
I know this is an older post but I have a question? What exact purpose would VRE shuttles between Alexandria and Union Station serve? I understand bringing MARC to Alexandria but to me these shuttles seem like a near direct duplication of existing Metro services. The only real benefit I see is eliminating a single Metro transfer from the blue to red lines for Union Station passengers.

-Shortline
It's express metro, it would bypass a fair number of stops.
Being able to have a union station bypass to new Carrollton, with waterfront stop, would also be useful.