Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1607794  by R&DB

AWSmith wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:03 pm This will be my first post here as I have been watching this thread in my excited anticipation of the FIT being opened up again. I had assumed its juncture with the southern secondary was a "wye" in both north and south directions but I see via Historical imagery that the south leg was actually a diamond that continued on to Manasquan . Any Idea what this El shaped building was at the diamond? A station? a control tower? https://www.historicaerials.com/locatio ... 99/1957/19
Farmingdale Station. Dual use PRR and CNJ. My avatar (above right) is an earlier photo of the same station. If you look closely at Gmaps to see the property lines, the RR RoW is configured for a Wye. It was just never built.
 #1607801  by JohnFromJersey

Wolfgang5150 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:58 pm If you go far back Enough on that siding there’s another two or 3 sets of tracks still back there before the buried switch at southard rd. That red building up against the ROW has a very old siding left on its property as well
There used to be multiple factories in Farmingdale. Where Stern's is now, that property used to contain a dog food factory and ketchup factory - hence why one of the buildings has a massive silo-like structure.
In addition, the industrial park in town used to have a factory that, I have been told, made radio equipment for the army - makes sense, since Fort Monmouth, Earle, Dix, Camp Evans, etc. were all nearby. In the industrial park, one of the buildings still has a siding going through a giant door and into the building, but the building just contains a lot of Pods containers.

I also believe some of the property that the industrial park is built on was the old Farmingdale-Sea Girt ROW.
 #1607808  by Blackseal Jim

The old factory on Railroad Ave in Farmingdale was once Foster Canning. They made cat and dog food. When I was young , and the tracks there were used , there was a siding for Foster Canning . My Grandpop Hurley ran the boilers there . The boiler room is long gone , but the Pennsy and later Penn Central would spot their train behind the boiler room which was looking at the factory all the way on the right side.
 #1607817  by cx4storm

JohnFromJersey wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:41 am

There used to be multiple factories in Farmingdale. Where Stern's is now, that property used to contain a dog food factory and ketchup factory - hence why one of the buildings has a massive silo-like structure.
In addition, the industrial park in town used to have a factory that, I have been told, made radio equipment for the army - makes sense, since Fort Monmouth, Earle, Dix, Camp Evans, etc. were all nearby. In the industrial park, one of the buildings still has a siding going through a giant door and into the building, but the building just contains a lot of Pods containers.

I also believe some of the property that the industrial park is built on was the old Farmingdale-Sea Girt ROW.

If I recall correctly, the place that made radio equipment was called Frequency Engineering.
 #1607818  by Forest3670

AWSmith wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:03 pm This will be my first post here as I have been watching this thread in my excited anticipation of the FIT being opened up again. I had assumed its juncture with the southern secondary was a "wye" in both north and south directions but I see via Historical imagery that the south leg was actually a diamond that continued on to Manasquan . Any Idea what this El shaped building was at the diamond? A station? a control tower? https://www.historicaerials.com/locatio ... 99/1957/19
Image The old Farmingdale RR Station
 #1607820  by Bracdude181

I have confirmed that the earlier report I was given claiming ties were being installed on the Gold Lumber siding was inaccurate. No ties installed. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Central Ave lights are going off again with no train in sight. A Belvidere and Delaware hi rail truck and signal maintainer is on scene attempting to fix the lights.

That crossing hasn’t been the same since the March derailment and the JCPL substation incident two months ago…
 #1607873  by Bracdude181

I do but I can’t post it through Google Photos since that software is constantly at war with me and I don’t know of another method to post smartphone pictures/video on here.

I’m fairly certain that’s the rail Conrail dropped off and never used. Park next to where they cleared the Gold Lumber siding for parking stuff there, and you’ll see it on the left side of the tracks.
 #1607878  by CharlieL

I suspect we will see another delivery of ties tomorrow or next week stacked by the crossing gates. They still need ties for right around Central Ave, esp. north adjacent. Since they deliver to extech and brick, they might continue at least that far. How far south of Maxim rd did they go?