Railroad Forums 

• Dover & Delaware River RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1603036  by Bracdude181

Been hearing that RP-1 and RP-2 have been cut back to once a week service.

Can anyone confirm this? I would hope this isn’t true as it would be a substantial cutback from the 5 days a week service they were providing earlier this year.

Also, updates on what power is assigned to DDRR and DRRV would be appreciated since 2006 and 5304 don’t appear to have been seen since the Delaware and Raritan River Railroad began running. I know 5303 is doing RP-1 at least.
 #1603156  by bk77

Took a swing by the TIS today as I was in the area. Couldn't get a real good look at Royal's siding from the road but it looked as if they didn't have anything spotted. That's unusual as they would normally have cars spotted on the lead and on the siding alongside their building which made for about 4 to 6 cars. If service to them is down then that might explain the supposed cut back in service as Bluelinx in Denville is the only other customer east of Dover. Not sure what the current traffic levels are on the rest of their system.
Last edited by bk77 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1603162  by Bracdude181

On the Delaware and Raritan River it’s the same as it was under Conrail if not more at the moment.

Dover and Delaware as well as the Dover and Rockaway had a surge earlier this year, but it appears to have ended. The most recent videos of RP-1 show only three or so cars on the train depending on the date. RP-2 was seeing big trains earlier this year as well.

Very odd for Royal Distribution to possibly be empty. Especially since C&D charges for railcars that aren’t cleared before a certain time. Most recent videos show maybe 1 or 2 cars for them. You can tell Totowa cars apart from others by the piping on the bottom.

The schedule as of January 2022

RP-2: Rockport to Phillipsburg and Turn. Monday-Wednesday-Friday

RP-1: Rockport to Lake Junction and Turn. Tuesday and Thursday. Rockaway Branch and Totowa Industrial are served as needed.

It’s supposed to be like that, but my people are telling me both trains are down to once a week…

All freight on the BRW and BDRV appears to be as needed. Last I heard BRW moves 50-70 cars a year from Three Bridges to Ringoes…
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1603165  by Bracdude181

50 cents for one loaded car per mile.

For the 1.8 miles between WOOD and ESSAY interlockings on the Coast Line, no big deal.

Going from Hackettstown to Totowa though, that adds up FAST.
 #1604393  by Bracdude181

Did some digging and found out RP-1 and 2 are still on the same schedule they made earlier this year. Also noticed gondola cars moving across their network which I haven’t seen in a while.

Also noticed WAY less Totowa-bound cars on RP-1 within the past 2-3 months…
 #1604407  by R36 Combine Coach

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:39 pm 50 cents for one loaded car per mile.

Going from Hackettstown to Totowa though, that adds up FAST.
But having state or county owned lines saves private carriers lots in property tax.
 #1604418  by ccutler

I don't think D&R only gets 50 cents a mile. I think the Class 1 gets probably about $4.40 a mile per 100 ton railcar, and then they share a percentage of the total haul with the short lines involved.
Here is a link to a gvt website tracking shipping rates by various modes. Look at the second tab for cents per mile:
https://www.bts.gov/content/average-fre ... e-ton-mile
 #1605004  by Bracdude181

It is being reported on the Montclair/Boonton thread that NS H02 was on the Totowa Industrial Track today at 17:10 instead of Chesapeake and Delawares RP-1

Is this true, or a misunderstanding?
 #1607648  by Bracdude181

Probably a bit early to ask but does anyone know if Chesapeake and Delaware is gonna be hosting the Toys for Tots train this year?
 #1610576  by Bracdude181

Earlier today, an extra RP-2 brought a rail train to Dover for NJT. They had 5304, 5303, and 2006. No SD40 this time around…