Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1606091  by BobbyT

Wouldn't it be easier to just have trains pass out on the B&A main? Coming off the Gardner branch trains can access both mains as well as the third track which is more of a siding/yard lead extension.
 #1606092  by newpylong

Yep, and they aren't adding double iron. Especially in DCS. They're just rebuilding as is and I'm sure the Greendale switches are junk.
 #1606860  by johnhenry

Switching from the CSX Track Upgrade thread, RJ Corman laid new rail across the Wachusett reservoir this weekend - maybe as far as the old West Boylston station location (around MP 9).
 #1606868  by rustyrails

Are the work crews running at night? I’ve gone by the area a couple of times, and I don’t see any action. Where are they parking the work crew trucks when their not working? Are there any sidings near the reservoir?
 #1606879  by johnhenry

About 6-7 miles heading west from Clinton. They worked both Saturday and Sunday. Trains (436/437) run late at night/early morning. I believe so far all the equipment that can't roll off at road crossings goes back to the Clinton siding. Soon they will be closer to the Greendale siding and maybe will use that. There are no other sidings between those two other than maybe a stub from an old industry around MP 6 that is still hooked in.
 #1606951  by johnhenry

Today, approaching the Rt140 OGB in Oakdale installing the south rail (north rail installed Saturday). First piece of equipment heats the rail with oil burners to get it stretched out before they put final spikes in.
 #1606988  by neman2

Nice picture of the ongoing work-- one minor correction it's not oil powered burner but propane. Also the first piece of equipment (towing the heater) is a rail vibrator that helps the rail expand to get the proper movement. The vibrator attachment can be seen vibrating the rail under the "RJ Corman " symbol on the right. I'm not aware of CSX standard for this area but MBTA standard is 95 degrees with proper movement per foot before applying spikes and anchors.
 #1607170  by rustyrails

Track construction crew working at RT140 crossing in W Boylston. A lot of equipment and personnel all around that crossing headed west. If they work the whole weekend, they’ll make some serious progress!
 #1607227  by rustyrails

I saw them today ( Saturday ) heading north at the reservoir around 4:30pm in W Boylston. I don't know if they tie down anywhere or head to Ayer. Does anyone know if they tie down or does the whole crew head back to Ayer?
 #1607260  by jwhite07

My journeys yesterday (Saturday) were delayed by several minutes by RJ Corman high rail equipment and CSX flagmen as they were working across Temple Street during the midday.