Railroad Forums 

• F40PH-3C overhaul program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1603418  by GP40MC1118

Nothing out of Erie. I did hear that Erie is concentrating on a new locomotive order from Egypt and some other project. Also there are supply chain issues slowing things down.
 #1607054  by mbrproductions

https://youtu.be/Bt1lNEU5sa8:
As seen in this video, Wabtec has been testing MBTX 1070, sporting a rather unique Black finish, possibly a Heritage (New York Central?) or Special Interest scheme.
 #1607075  by mbrproductions

Are the three schemes rumored to be B&M, NYC, and NYNH&H? Those sound great but I was hoping for one in the Screamer scheme :(.
 #1607096  by BandA

So....black with purple stripes for NYC? Bluebird with "T" logo in place of B&M? The McGinis scheme black & red block except with the giant circle "T" in the center? Or "The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority" spelled out in flowery cursive
 #1607102  by CSRR573

For the B&M scheme, will it be a bluebird scheme or the F-unit scheme?
 #1607203  by TrainFan1035

I think it might be the minuteman scheme. (Which i have no idea if its the red and yellow one or the blue, black and white one, Though im pretty sure its the red and yellow one)
Turned out that the black paint on 1070 was not actual paint it was primer (from what i heard)
 #1607204  by TrainFan1035

mbrproductions wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:45 am Are the three schemes rumored to be B&M, NYC, and NYNH&H? Those sound great but I was hoping for one in the Screamer scheme :(.
1075 was originally going to get the Screamer paint scheme ( From what i was told) but MPI just said no and did the normal scheme :(
 #1607232  by mbrproductions

I think it might be the minuteman scheme.
I hope so, that was/is a much better scheme than the minimalist bluebird scheme, and would go much better with the F40 given that it is technically an F unit.
Turned out that the black paint on 1070 was not actual paint it was primer (from what i heard)
That may be, but it does not explain the yellow 1070 road number painted below the cab windows on each side, which is what really caught my attention.
1075 was originally going to get the Screamer paint scheme ( From what i was told) but MPI just said no and did the normal scheme :(
Just said no? Well I can't imagine why, it is a much simpler scheme that would have taken less paint and time to complete. I still hope one of the units that are either being rebuilt or are going to be rebuilt come back bearing that purple stripe.
 #1607244  by CRail

This is getting painful. Some points:

1.) It was rumored that the 1075 was to receive its orignal scheme (there was no screamer scheme as all screamers were not always painted the same and the stretch F40s were all delivered with the plain stripe) and dedicated to a late retiree. That, as we know, did not happen.

2.) The rumored potential paint schemes have been NH McGinnis (think ConnDOT FL9s), B&M Minuteman (maroon with gold stripes), potentially an NYC scheme, and their original plain stripe.

3.) Regarding B&M schemes: The bluebird scheme, often confused with the blue dip, was the McGinnis era scheme applied to the GP9s as built and was not very minimalist. F units wore several schemes none of which were unique to them, save perhaps for the 4226's god awful "B plus M" iteration of the McGinnis scheme.