Railroad Forums 

• Housing Project on former RR ROW.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1605768  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:02 pm Isn’t this that ROW someone tried to reopen about a decade ago?
I think that one is about 1/4 south of this former Erie RR right of way. That former PRR ROW south of this one is now proposed as a public use trail.
 #1605805  by pumpers

From looking at old Sanborn maps, this block between Cole and Monmouth Streets and then between 10th and 11th St (well, I should say the "ROW" of 11th St since tracks covered 11th St. all around there) had about a dozen Erie tracks from both the Long Dock tunnel and the Bergen Arches leading eventually to the waterfront (Erie Pavonia terminal and also Pavonia Yard). East of Jersey Ave it narrowed down to 7 tracks before fanning out again.

Regarding the PRR 6th St ("Harsimus stem") embankment to the PRR waterfront freight yards, did the city (or some other public authority) ever succeed in closing a deal with Conrail to buy it from them? Conrail and the city have been fighting in court for years (like 10 or so) - with Conrail arguing I think if they were to sell it to a real estate developer it would be worth a fortune.

EDIT: of course Conrail has no realistic RR use for the 6th St embankment (which they also tried to argue at one point legally I think, but I am not a lawyer). They are disconnected from it now on both ends from a real-estate point of view, and it there has been real-estate development on both ends of it (admittedly not much on the western end).
 #1605863  by Dcell

Didn't the guy who petitions to buy every short, unused rail ROW try to obtain the embankment? I forget his name but I think he is based in Maryland or Virginia and he is pretty infamous for inundating the STB with such petitions.