• Salem & Lowell West Peabody Rail Yard

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by tom18287

Was just looking at "West peabody junction" on historical aerials and noticed what looks like a rail yard just west of the junction. does anyone have any info on this?

does anyone have an pics of west peabody junction? obviously there was a diamond, but there mustve been a wye as well?
  by highrail

I have not seen a photo of a yard, but I have a photo of the old station at the junction that I got at a train show. It was likely at the location of the diamond, the remnants of which were still in the weeds several years ago. I looked through Ron Karr's Lost Railroads of New England and his other book, Rail Lines of Southern New England. I found references to the line, but not any yards. I would bet that the B&M Historical Society might be a good source: https://www.bmrrhs.org/

Steve
  by GP40MC1118

A friend of mine says this was not a yard, but likely a sand or clay pit.
  by tom18287

interesting. that makes sense to me. does any one have any pics of the line when it was still open to bostik? i believe they got service into the 80s
  by jbvb

In 1968, West Peabody's only connection was in the south quadrant, allowing through moves between Wakefield Jct. and Peabody/Salem without reversing. This had been the route of the High Car Job until 1958. The manual interlocking was still in service. I think the Salem & Lowell track between Peabody and West Peabody was still intact at that time, at least rails remained in Rt. 1 pavement at the lower grade crossing. I doubt any trains had gone the whole length in years.
  by tom18287

did the junction ever have a full wye?
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by jbvb

I recall the area being flat and somewhat marshy. I don't remember seeing empty embankments for removed connections, but I wasn't even a teenager in 1968. There wouldn't have been much reason for moves from Wilmington Jct. to Wakefield Jct. or Danvers, or between Danvers and Peabody Sq. via West Peabody.
  by tom18287

upon a little further investigation (wikipedia lol)

in 1905 a company called "essex trap rock and construction company" opened up on the line in peabody. I am guessing this was probably their location. probably a cool place to explore in person.