Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1605075  by frankie

So theoretically, at Mineola you can have a main line EB train stopped on track 1, an OB bound train stopped on track 3 and a EB train on track 2 highballing through the station all at the same time?
 #1605131  by bellstbarn

For maybe three decades, I would occasionally visit the evening rush hour scene at Mineola, chat with railfans, and attempt to count passengers, especially those boarding the two Montauk Division trains. When the prospect of a third track from Park to Hicksville arose, I hoped for two island platforms, as at Babylon and Hicksville. In recent years, I changed my preference to the center-track speedway with higher-speed interlockings. Commuters to Suffolk County and those going to Hicksville both deserve the open road.
---
It will take scheduling and tower skill to move the eastbound Oyster Bay diesel trains off Track 1 onto Track 3, make a station stop, and get around a 30-mph curve.
---
 #1605138  by Head-end View

frankie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:49 pm So theoretically, at Mineola you can have a main line EB train stopped on track 1, an OB bound train stopped on track 3 and a EB train on track 2 highballing through the station all at the same time?
Well almost. You've got the track numbers reversed. From north to south they are 3-1-2. So your eastbound express will be on (middle) Track-1, and the eastbound local will be platformed on (south) Track-2. :-D
 #1605139  by Head-end View

bellstbarn wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:43 pm For maybe three decades, I would occasionally visit the evening rush hour scene at Mineola, chat with railfans, and attempt to count passengers, especially those boarding the two Montauk Division trains. When the prospect of a third track from Park to Hicksville arose, I hoped for two island platforms, as at Babylon and Hicksville. In recent years, I changed my preference to the center-track speedway with higher-speed interlockings. Commuters to Suffolk County and those going to Hicksville both deserve the open road.
---
It will take scheduling and tower skill to move the eastbound Oyster Bay diesel trains off Track 1 onto Track 3, make a station stop, and get around a 30-mph curve.
---
So bellstbarn, you're saying you approve of the new limited configuration at Mineola to allow for higher speeds for express trains?
 #1605160  by flexliner

Just saw a video on YouTube of an eastbound mu on track 3 mineola.
Why does it seem like there is more space between center track 1 and south track 2 as compared to between track 1 and north track 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1605161  by MACTRAXX

FL - There is a larger space between center Track 1 and south Track 2 at Mineola for one of the supporting walls
of the Mineola Boulevard bridge at the east end of Mineola Station. When the current bridge was constructed a
provision for the future third track underneath was added with this structure on the south side...MACTRAXX
 #1605164  by MNCRR9000

Was curious what is the benefit of the new setup where both Oyster Bay Branch tracks come off track 3. Seems like they would lose flexibility to get trains onto the branch if a train is fowling up track 3.
 #1605212  by frankie

flexliner wrote:Just saw a video on YouTube of an eastbound mu on track 3 mineola.
Why does it seem like there is more space between center track 1 and south track 2 as compared to between track 1 and north track 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a link to the video?
 #1605238  by Head-end View

MNCRR9000 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:46 am Was curious what is the benefit of the new setup where both Oyster Bay Branch tracks come off track 3. Seems like they would lose flexibility to get trains onto the branch if a train is fowling up track 3.
That's another good argument to add fuel to the fire. Read up above and that's sort of what we've been talking about lately. I'm thinking today that this new configuration might suggest that the LIRR is intending to eventually convert the O. Bay Branch to a shuttle operation. That would explain one reason for the very limited service to the Branch at Mineola.
 #1605252  by Diverging Route

Diverging Route wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:40 pm The draft Grand Central Madison schedule for the OB Branch has a single electric MU train inbound from East Williston, in about the same place as the old #1501. It's now #511, departing EW at 7:46am, and making Mineola, Merillon Avenue, New Hyde Park, Elmont-UBS, Queens Village, Hollis, Jamaica, and Grand Central Madison.

So if this draft holds, when the GCM opens, we will have the once-daily EMU inbound from EW has was the case for decades until the reduced COVID schedule.
Yesterday I passed by the EW crossing on Hillside Avenue, and crews were working on the third rail just north (RR east) of the station.
 #1605271  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Major MINEOLA service changes in effect on Friday August 26 and Monday August 29 ONLY:

5 AM to 10 AM - NO Eastbound service EXCEPT 8:47 AM train to Oyster Bay. Bus service will be provided between
Hicksville and Mineola.

3 PM to 8:45 PM - Reduced service through Mineola. Minor schedule changes for Ronkonkoma and Huntington/
Port Jefferson trains.

*** ALL TRAINS IN BOTH DIRECTIONS SERVE PLATFORM A - TRACK 3 AT MINEOLA STATION ***

Some peak hour trains will add a Westbury stop - Free garage parking will be available.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running all trains through a single track "bottleneck" at Mineola during extensive trackwork between Nassau 1
and Nassau 2 for these two days will be very interesting in terms of LIRR service...MACTRAXX
 #1605294  by workextra

FWIW,
Enjoy it, it’s a mile of single track for trains stopping at mineola. The EBs bypassing mineola won’t be affected short of not stopping there.
When this is done there will be 3 main tracks in service through Mineola and the absolute worst is over.
 #1605375  by Head-end View

Good point workextra. I'll be in downtown Mineola for a medical appointment two blocks from the station the very next day on Tuesday, and I'll be checking out the completed job. :-D