Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned line in Sterling, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1604651  by BostonUrbEx

In Sterling, MA there is an abandoned line that connected to the B&M Worcester Main at Sterling Jct and to the NH/PC/Conrail Fitchburg Secondary at Pratts Jct. Which railroad owned this line? Was its primary purpose a freight interchange, or passenger service? And if freight, why not just use the Clinton interchange?
 #1604653  by jaymac

Strongly recommend getting a copy of The Rail Lines of Southern New England: A Handbook of Railway History by Ronald Dale Karr. Mine is 37 years old, so don't know current availability.
The line started off life as the Fitchburg and Worcester, eventually getting absorbed into the NH. Fitchburg-Worcester passenger service ended in 1926 (p. 193), the usual contractions happening, particularly with the Depression..
 #1604673  by F74265A

That Karr book is an excellent resource if you are interested in the many, many abandonments in New England. I first got it many years ago when researching what looked for all the world to me like an abandoned right of way running from South Lancaster through Bolton to Hudson. Indeed it was the very short lived Lancaster RR.

As for the clinton interchange idea, the NH and B&M tracks in clinton are grade separated. the primary interchange tracks were from B&M northbound to NH east (or south) and were on a significant grade. I don't know for sure when the grade separation occurred, but found online that the two level Clinton union station was built in 1914. There may at one time have been a connector from B&M south to NH west (north), but I am not sure. I recall seeing a right of way behind the industrial buildings there but it may have just served industry. I could never get back in there to see if it climbed up to the NH line at least 20 feet above.
 #1604751  by jaymac

F74265A » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:19 pm
...As for the clinton interchange idea, the NH and B&M tracks in clinton are grade separated. the primary interchange tracks were from B&M northbound to NH east (or south) and were on a significant grade. I don't know for sure when the grade separation occurred, but found online that the two level Clinton union station was built in 1914. There may at one time have been a connector from B&M south to NH west (north), but I am not sure. I recall seeing a right of way behind the industrial buildings there but it may have just served industry. I could never get back in there to see if it climbed up to the NH line at least 20 feet above.
There was an early 20th century push to reduce grade crossings and attendant accidents. The NH line got elevated, but the B&M didn't, possibly because of a lesser amount of vehicular traffic on that road back then. When both lines crossed at a diamond, there were connecting tracks. After the grade separation, there was a connection from the NH from the compass E and the B&M to the compass S which will show on older topo maps. The B&M and NH were cooperative in Fitchburg, Lowell, and wherever else the 2 connected. The connection in Clinton permitted NH locomotives to wye when needed, less of a concern for the B&M because of the engine house and turntable just to the compass N. There also would have been interchange from the NH to the B&M of time-sensitive loads from Fitchburg and Leominster that would not be going on the the Fall River steamers for New York City. Yes -- next-morning delivery from Fitchburg and Leominster until 1940.
 #1604797  by F74265A

Thanks for that early 20th century info.

One question - I always thought that the B&M engine house and turntable were south of the NH crossing. I read your post as saying it was north of the crossing. Where was it exactly if you know?
 #1604806  by jaymac

Check the CLINTON ENGINE HOUSE thread on the BOSTON & MAINE/MAINE CENTRAL forum from a coupla years back:

#1540538 by johnhenry
Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:12 pm
Clinton TT.jpg

The engine house is on a spur up against a hillside at the upper left hand of the topo segment, and the connecting track shows at the bottom, just compass SE of the grade separation.