Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1588942  by StLouSteve

Thanks Matt W for the technical explanation.

I seem to recall that when GPS technology first became available, the military required a certain amount of "fuzziness" in civilian applications. I could see how this could be a huge issue because the difference between a cornfield head on collision and normal safe operation is only a few feet apart (different parallel track).

David B--this route was double tracked until the 60s when it was single tracked. The railroad did sell an easement along the right of way to two fiber optic lines . Indeed, at one point (1980s) the line was owned by a SP unit (Chicago Missouri & Western) and Sprint (Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Telephone?) put in a line so perhaps there was a connection as both were part of the Anshutz empire.
 #1588948  by eolesen

Sprint made a lot of money selling fiber along the SP right of way including the Sunset Route.

Today, it's part of the primary backbone for the US broadband network and why there are so many data centers in Arizona.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
 #1589163  by ryanwc

It's been an interesting couple months. However late these projects may be, and whether or not you think they were worthwhile, Amtrak bumped to 90 mph on the Lincoln Service about the time the OHare People Mover came back into service, and the CTA Brown Line flyover came online.

(I also mentioned this in the Chicagoland forum, so apologies for the crosspost. Delete this if you must.)
 #1591717  by ryanwc

Drove to Springfield today, with my wife and kids, so cheaper than 4 train tickets.

But it’s something speeding along at 75, only to watch an Amtrak train overtake you. Man they fly now!
 #1604671  by quincunx

Amtrak recently replaced the 304 with the 318 and 303 with 319 allowing a one seat KCY-STL-CHI trip. I saw it Saturday on the MacArthur Bridge leaving STL over an hour late. Sunday it left 4'58" late. This is concerning as the 304 had been my go to. Anyone have numbers on departure delays from STL for the 318?
 #1604702  by eolesen

Can't say that the cascading delay impact wasn't predicted here... Same thing happened the last time they tried thru equipment at STL.
 #1604745  by StLouSteve

>>>>
Amtrak recently replaced the 304 with the 318 and 303 with 319 allowing a one seat KCY-STL-CHI trip. I saw it Saturday on the MacArthur Bridge leaving STL over an hour late. Sunday it left 4'58" late. This is concerning as the 304 had been my go to. Anyone have numbers on departure delays from STL for the 318?
>>>>
I believe UP's timekeeping on the cross-Missouri River Runner route of late has been just awful. Annoys the heck out of the locals who recall recent taxpayer funding of bridge and UP track improvements that were supposed to make Amtrak run both faster and on time.
 #1604774  by TurningOfTheWheel

Speaking of the Lincoln Service, 300 and 305 are cancelled until next Wednesday.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... s-service/

Equipment issues lead to reduction of Amtrak Chicago-St. Louis service
Continuing equipment-availability problems have led to the suspension of one of four daily Amtrak Lincoln Service round trip between Chicago and St. Louis. The service reduction is slated to run through Tuesday, Aug. 23.

This is the second Amtrak Illinois route this month to see a prolonged suspension of a round trip because of equipment issues. The Chicago-Quincy Carl Sandberg was dropped for a week earlier this month, a suspension that lasted through Aug. 9.

Chicago-based corridor operations continue to be hampered by the slow rollout of Siemens-built Venture cars because of various issues... Most recently, the cars have experienced a door issue that has required bracketing the new equipment with Horizon or Amfleet cars. Passengers have only been able to board or exit via the doors on the older cars.
 #1612343  by John_Perkowski

And there I was, in St Louis, riding Amfleet 1 and Horizon wreck cast offs. Oh, and the F40s made into baggage compartments. I’ve also heard of early P Motors in funeral trains to the scrap lines.

It seems to me AMTRAK has a failure in planning procurement, so they must keep and maintain what they have.
 #1612507  by quincunx

I rode the 302 yesterday. We were late leaving mainly due to waiting for the fuel truck which no doubt was delayed by the extreme cold and street conditions. They had put the cars from 300 I presume in our consist, so it was extra long. I still don't like the lack up recline in the new cars. I rode in the Texas Eagle a few weeks ago and appreciated those seats. Did they focus group this seat design?
 #1618319  by ryanwc

One great trip on the Lincoln / River Runner service yesterday. The Siemens cars were really nice. Train was sold out, though I'm not sure where, because the seat next to me remained through my destination.

Return trip was also sold out, more demonstrably. I saw no open seats in my car. But, we'd been delayed for 2.5 hours, apparently by a light pole blown across the tracks in a storm. It's not clear whether the train was naturally sold out, sold out because of pax who otherwise would have been on the 9-hour delayed TX Eagle running right behind us, or sold out because people who showed up a half hour early for the next Lincoln Service discovered our train. At least two women were ticketed on the Eagle but allowed onto ours.

The Carlinville station needs attention. The big screen TV mounted inside was showing a Windows home screen. Amtrak status updates by text/online/on the app weren't particularly helpful - the train was serially half an hour away - expected at 4:31 as of 4:00; updated to 4:48 at 4:16, etc. For a while, the status update showed an estimated arrival time that had already passed. If I'd had any idea we would be delayed 2 hours (at originating point -- 2.5 hours by the end), I'd have gotten dinner. But I recognize that they may not have been sure how long it would take to clear the debris and get track rights. Weirdly, the status updates were different in different settings. I got 2 texts, which didn't match the 2 notifications via the app, and the status link in the app didn't always match the ETA shown on outdoor digital screens at the station.

One bright aspect is that in the past, in my experience, a 2:05 delay at origination would have deteriorated a lot more over the next 250 miles, since we'd have missed windows for passage and dragged behind freights, pulled into sidings, etc. We did lose a little more time, but not much. Double tracking and high speed help. We also went from Summit to Union Station in a normal amount of time, the conductor saying "they know we're here, and they're supposed to make way for us. I hope they do." They did.