Railroad Forums 

• PLED / EDPL

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1541035  by Rockingham Racer

Are they still running? If so, what kind of a schedule are they on these days through Springfield?
 #1541078  by PBMcGinnis

Usually southbound on Monday nights, return on Tuesday, and southbound again on Thursday return on Friday.
They cannot cross the diamond at Springfield unless it is between midnight and 4am.
 #1541131  by Rockingham Racer

PBMcGinnis wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:46 am Usually southbound on Monday nights, return on Tuesday, and southbound again on Thursday return on Friday.
They cannot cross the diamond at Springfield unless it is between midnight and 4am.
Interesting. Is it CSX or Amtrak that has that restriction on them?
 #1541322  by PBMcGinnis

Amtrak owns and dispatched the line from Springfield to New Haven. So Amtrak controls the operating window. Don't forget with the ConnDOT service there are more passenger trains now. Plus CSX and CSOR have their freight trains to run.
 #1541429  by Backshophoss

Derby Jct has become the interchange point for MN Ballast cars,a possible backdoor interchange for P&W and HRRC(?).
 #1541541  by Jeff Smith

For some reason, I think HRRC doesn't have rights to interchange there. There was one recent move over it of a heritage piece of equipment I think. Also, did you mean PAR instead of P&W?
 #1541547  by J.D. Lang

I also think that HRRC recently handed off one of their GP-35's to PAS at Derby J. so it could go to ED for wheel work.
 #1541639  by Engineer Spike

I'm from Plainville, and saw a HRRC GP9 in Plainville once. It may have gone to ED for work. I don't know if there is an official interchange of freight allowed between PAS and Housaonic. One would have to look at the STB/ICC filings of the transfers of both lines from Conrail.
 #1541712  by Backshophoss

PAR/PAS rights end at Derby Jct,the 3 interchange moves from HRRC seems to confirm it.
P&W was routed this way to Danbury,till HRRC objected, this was a possible interchange point if things went sideways at Gardener
Hence the term "backdoor" interchange.
 #1545930  by CVRA7

PLED/EDPL now run only once a week, guaranteeing occasional 50 car plus trains, not sure of the days. Also not sure of the PL local schedules out of Plainville but due to Naugatuck RR interchange debris business Waterbury usually gets 2 trains per week. Also there is a considerable amount of tie replacement ongoing in CT PAS lines.
 #1588747  by BM6569

Saw a photo of a 50 car train passing through Hartford yesterday. Had 3 engines it looked like
 #1602167  by CVRA7

Received via Amtrak operations "as info:"
Pan Am EDPL/PLED will not be running indefinitely because of a compromised bridge structure on the Waterbury Branch. "The FRA has removed the Waterbury Branch from service until the bridge repairs have been made."
No location of the bridge was given.
 #1604550  by CVRA7

Various areas where the need is greatest.