Railroad Forums 

• Question about Northern Central Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1604320  by gprimr1

I was working the Northern Central Railroad tourist train Sunday, and it went from New Freedom to Glen Rock. I saw the NCR runs trains all the way up to the Howard tunnel, but looking at Google Maps, it looks like the tracks run all the way up to York PA.

Is is possible for a train to go all the way to York or are there sections of track that are too damaged to operate on north of the Howard Tunnel?

I was also looking at the Stewartstown branch, and that line does look like it's impassable at points between New Freedom and Stewartstown.
 #1604338  by scratchyX1

gprimr1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:04 pm I was working the Northern Central Railroad tourist train Sunday, and it went from New Freedom to Glen Rock. I saw the NCR runs trains all the way up to the Howard tunnel, but looking at Google Maps, it looks like the tracks run all the way up to York PA.

Is is possible for a train to go all the way to York or are there sections of track that are too damaged to operate on north of the Howard Tunnel?

I was also looking at the Stewartstown branch, and that line does look like it's impassable at points between New Freedom and Stewartstown.
Stewartstown railroad is currently working on making the line passable, at least for speeders, to new freeedom.
I think the NC is passable all the way to york, I'm pretty sure that's how they got the locomotives to the site.
 #1607221  by carajul

NCR operates their Steam into History train to Glen Rock but twice a month they go 3 miles past the tunnel. At the York city limit the NCR track becomes the property of York Rail. The rail is removed for 1 length to indicate the property change. So a train cannot physically go to York as the rail is removed.
https://www.northerncentralrailway.com/

American Rail Bikes operate rail bikes on the NCR from Seven Valleys to the tunnel on weekends.
http://www.americanrailbike.com