Railroad Forums 

• FFW-1 Schedules spring 1950

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1603452  by wdburt1

In late April or early May 1950, possibly in conjunction with the April 30 shift to Daylight Saving Time, Lehigh Valley and Nickel Plate inaugurated second-morning service from North Jersey to Chicago, as follows:

FFW-1:
lv New York (Oak Island?) 8:30PM Day 0
ar Buffalo (Tifft?) 10:00 AM Day 1
BC-1:
lv Buffalo Jct Yard 1:30 PM Day 1
ar Chicago (Calumet?) 4:45 AM Day 2

I would like to understand what changes (if any) were made to FFW-1's schedule to make this new service possible. If anyone has FFW-1's schedule before and/or after the time change, please message me. Thanks.
 #1604312  by charlie6017

Hi Mr. Burt,

In the below link is a freight train schedule from Sept. 27, 1953, which is after your 1950 cutoff date but it does have an entry for FFW-1.

http://lvrr.anthraciterailroads.org/wp- ... ht5309.pdf

And the same site has a number of freight schedules besides the one above, but unfortunately nothing prior to 1950.

http://www.lvrr.anthraciterailroads.org ... e-rosters/

Charlie
 #1604330  by wdburt1

Thanks for the 1953 schedules. It helps to know whether the LV retreated from 2nd AM service after 1950. Apparently they did not.
 #1605165  by wdburt1

LV article in the current Classic Trains is set in June 1950 and refers to FFW-1 as a "recently introduced" train (page 58). It also claims that it was a piggyback train, which is incorrect, but easily confused with fast freight (merchandise box car traffic) after 72 years.

Elsewhere, I believe I have read that FFW-1 was renamed from another symbol.

What do we know about these claims?