Railroad Forums 

• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1604289  by BandA

So they are welding together sticks of used but very good rail rather than using long ribbons? I assume they will pre-stress it when they replace the ties. Also if you replace the ties first then you have a bunch of ties with extra spike holes which will deteriorate faster. Better to continue to use old ties and speed restrictions for a short time.
 #1604290  by newpylong

What do you mean?

There is no difference in relay rail vs new from an installation standpoint. If it's relay it's welded already in long strings at the plant and dropped in the same fashion. Nothing is welded onsite except where the strings come together. Even then joints are used sometimes depending on location.
 #1604298  by neman2

BandA ,Where do you see this info that they are welding sticks of used rail together? I have seen them dropping 1/4 mile strings in Clinton. As to the tie replacement procedure I would leave that to the experts like CSX to use the best method.
 #1604347  by NHV 669

johnpbarlow wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:28 am CSX M426-09 passed the Springfield Union Station just before midnight Tuesday/8/9/22 with 25 loaded CSX ballast hoppers head out (behind a CSX GP40-3) - I'm guessing this stone is headed for the track rehab in the Waterville area?
They're on the M426 that departed Ayer less than 10 minutes ago.
 #1604440  by BandA

neman2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:32 pm BandA ,Where do you see this info that they are welding sticks of used rail together? I have seen them dropping 1/4 mile strings in Clinton. As to the tie replacement procedure I would leave that to the experts like CSX to use the best method.
I was looking at the photos and it looked like sticks. I'm probably wrong.
 #1604442  by CN9634

Ballast is for Rigby. First track is completely rebuild. I'm told they're going to remove a few tracks so they can re-align the spacing of others, since it's extremely narrow in there....

A few visual reinforcements thanks to Dan Comick

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20220 ... 082100.jpg
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 217203.jpg
 #1604446  by newpylong

Makes sense. When CP took over Mohawk yard from GTI/Suzy Q they ripped out half the tracks (they weren't needed) so then you could drive right down the side of them all. It's far better for the crews and carman to be able to run an ATV or truck down the side of the tracks, especially in a flat yard. Safer too, some of those tracks are so close.
 #1604454  by newpylong

If there was any ballast to speak of they wouldn't need to bring 25 more loads in. What's there will get mixed in with the new stuff, but it isn't much.

If they did have to remove any it would be put in a pile somewhere, and reused elsewhere in the yard.
 #1604476  by CN9634

I was about to ask… what ballest!

I’ve only heard of them taking out 3 tracks for realignment but also remember Rigby has had tons of OOS tracks, or tracks only operable from one side, for years…. So no real loss. Actually somewhat amazing the place is getting a facelift. Heard Keag work starts this year too but believe it when I see it
 #1604481  by NotYou

It will be neat to see Keag get upgraded, I think it will happen. My hunch is a year or two after Worcester, Ayer, Rigby, etc. down the line get work first.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1604482  by codasd

Here is an article from 2020 on the Keag mainline rebuild, I understand the money is still there. A project management document I saw shows it as a three-year project. It would be nice to see it start his year. https://railsandports.com/2020/08/par-m ... 2-million/ A similar article was in the Bangor newspaper a while back.