Railroad Forums 

• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1603810  by CPF363

neman2 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:13 pm I took a "field trip" to Clinton today . At approximately 14:00 hours rail train dropping rail moving westbound between Sterling St and New Harbor Rd. overhead bridge in Clinton. A RJ Corman high rail pickup with torches and Corman 10 wheel boom truck following. For those of you who have scanners rail train and Corman workers are on 161.40.

I also observed that tie plates have been dropped between the existing rails, so my previous statement about ties being replaced before new rail is set may be incorrect.
New 136lb. rail dropped along ROW from Burncoat Street up to Sterling, second hand mix of 136lb. and 141lb. rail from Sterling to Clinton.
 #1603839  by SpiderHill

Tie plates were dropped from just east of the Mill St. crossing to someplace after Duck Harbor in Clinton. They were not dropped as far as South Meadow Road. Some rail was dropped near the Clinton siding going west, but again not as far as South Meadow Road. No rail was dropped yet further West of South Meadow. The first train started dropping rail in the area of the Chase Hill Road bridge in Sterling going west. The rail train was back on the Clinton siding this evening about 1/3rd unloaded.
 #1604020  by CPF363

Welded rail dropped on both sides of South Meadow Road and on west down to Chase Hill Road also. CWR ready for installation from Burncoat to Clinton.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1604184  by neman2

In this photo at Rigby by Dan Comick on NERAIL New England Photo Archive website http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=4&key2= You can see a crew repairing not only an engine track, but in the center of the picture in the distance it appears they have removed a very large amount of ties from the yard tracks. Can anyone here confirm how long ago something this extensive has happened here, 20-30-40-50 years ago?
 #1604243  by S1f3432

The removal of the west yard and building the Amtrak bypass was a major project. Before that
replacing Tower 2 and the old mechanical rod-connected interlocking in 1973 along with moving
the functions of Tower 1 and Tower X to PT was a big project. In my time there- 1976 to 1986, I
don't remember much going on beyond routine modest tie replacement.
 #1604263  by johnpbarlow

CSX M426-09 passed the Springfield Union Station just before midnight Tuesday/8/9/22 with 25 loaded CSX ballast hoppers head out (behind a CSX GP40-3) - I'm guessing this stone is headed for the track rehab in the Waterville area?