Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1603765  by johnhenry

Wachusett Watershed MP Map.jpg
Wachusett Watershed MP Map.jpg (77.83 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
Rail Train 6.5 miles is enough rail for 6.5 miles of track (13 miles of rail).
Here is a map (if I did this right) I got a year ago relating to the track by the reservoir.
 #1603776  by F74265A

I don’t anticipate any double track
Switch panels have been reported near the locations of existing short sidings in Clinton and Worcester
 #1603786  by NHV 669

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:43 am Note that some of this is going to be double track since switch panels have been dropped in at least two spots.
Nope, simply replacing the old ones.
 #1603865  by rustyrails

I saw rail laid down from Burncoat Street crossing past the 140 overpass at the reservoir. I watched the rail train heading back to Ayer Monday at about 4:30 pm. Only one side of rail has been laid and not sure how far past the 140 bridge. I haven't see another rail train loaded with rail loaded at CSX CP 45, however it must be close because the crews can't start until the other rails are laid down.
 #1604215  by rustyrails

The rail train headed to Celkirk the other night. Someone posted on YouTube the Geometry train heading west at night towards Worcester. A rainbow of lights pointing down on the rails. Pretty cool.
 #1604439  by BandA

They are probably not worrying about the sidings, just the main line and want any switches to be in a State of Good Repair.

I still don't understand why they would agree to limit speeds along the reservoir. Is that a permanent restriction or just a goal? What if 50 years from now they want to run faster?
 #1604451  by nomis

Honestly, to limit the community opposition to any changes at the regulatory level. Maintain track as class 3, run as class 2.
 #1604452  by newpylong

BandA wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:37 pm Yes, but why agree to any restrictions?
Did you not see the opposition letters to the transaction?

To get them to shut up and only lose about 10 minutes off the transit time when it's all said and done.
 #1606087  by bostontrainguy

F74265A wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:30 am I don’t anticipate any double track
Switch panels have been reported near the locations of existing short sidings in Clinton and Worcester
I see reports of new switch panels dropped at New Bond Street. There is no existing siding here. This would seem a good place for the start of a second track but I don't know anything more than you do. They are parking and fueling trains at this spot now. It will be interesting to see what happens here.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1606089  by codasd

Is the Greendale siding still in place? That is/was just north of New Bond. If so they could be for that transition. I just don't see CSX spending double track money for one train pair per day.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting