Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1604163  by NHV 669

MEC407 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 am
NHV 669 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:54 am Especially when their social medias advertised "vintage EMD power" for yesterday's Mountaineer . . .
All of their diesels are "vintage EMD power." Seems kind of strange that they'd state it that way, as if there are non-vintage diesels on the property.
That was my thought as well, considering all of them are 50+ years old. It was equally weird when they wrote about "having a Geep" in one of the consists. Uh..... that's every operable unit besides 7470, Millie, and the F twins.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1604384  by p42thedowneaster

Anyone have any details on the new NP dome car that was mentioned earlier this year? They made it sound like it was appearing relatively soon.

I have to say, while things are different (sometimes annoying like the station platform rules), there are really so many great things happening this year. 3 of the 5 First gens are running, plus the Budd, all 3 Second gens are moving, and steam is on regular schedule for the first time in very long time. While there is no specific railfans day, they have already done 3 railfan specials. Dining in the notch seems to be in good hands now. All season- Dome in the valley is a cool addition. GSmall continues to do great work in remodeling the notch coaches. There's ballast everywhere, tons of new equipment. Its impressive.

The to-do list (of fun things to do next) almost seems short...add dining in the valley, wheels & paint on 1751, restoration of the open air cars to service, and hopefully 501.
 #1604386  by NHN503

p42thedowneaster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:12 pm Anyone have any details on the new NP dome car that was mentioned earlier this year? They made it sound like it was appearing relatively soon.
It is currently stuck due to some mechanical defects found during inspection that will not allow it to roll further. I believe it's on CP in Ottawa?
 #1604430  by Who

p42thedowneaster wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:12 pm Anyone have any details on the new NP dome car that was mentioned earlier this year? They made it sound like it was appearing relatively soon.

I have to say, while things are different (sometimes annoying like the station platform rules), there are really so many great things happening this year. 3 of the 5 First gens are running, plus the Budd, all 3 Second gens are moving, and steam is on regular schedule for the first time in very long time. While there is no specific railfans day, they have already done 3 railfan specials. Dining in the notch seems to be in good hands now. All season- Dome in the valley is a cool addition. GSmall continues to do great work in remodeling the notch coaches. There's ballast everywhere, tons of new equipment. Its impressive.

The to-do list (of fun things to do next) almost seems short...add dining in the valley, wheels & paint on 1751, restoration of the open air cars to service, and hopefully 501.
I believe it is a goal of theirs's to have the dining car return next year on the valley train, but you probably won't see a dinner train for the foreseeable future, it really comes down to staffing levels. Restaurants in the Valley and throughout are still struggling to find employment, a lot of restaurants have to close two days out of the week to give employees that are working time off and the ones that are open are still on limited hours compared to what it was pre-Covid. It took up until a month or two ago for the Omni Mt. Washington to hire enough staff to reopen Fabyan Station (with limited hours) and I still think they have other restaurants waiting to reopen.
 #1604919  by NHN503

p42thedowneaster wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm Yes, I definitely think they're smart to sideline dining for now. Like you say, it's a tough business to be in right now! I think they would be wise to lease it out to a hotel or restaurant that can provide the talent to make it spectacular.
They used to. Remember?

They somehow convinced Cabin Fever to do it this year, and I really hope that they are able to get out of there with every dime they put in. They are really nice people and closed the restaurant temporally to do the train. I hope they ultimately don't lose the restaurant.
 #1604923  by Who

Attitash had the contract for years but before them it was Horsefeathers.
I'm just curious, was Horsefeathers the first food service provider or did they have others before them?