Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Midland Railroad (OMID) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1521485  by charlie6017

One of my favorite OMID photos that I've taken over the years. The 408 smoking it up at Burlee Rd, taken in the Summer of 2003.
Attachments:
OMID_smoky408_BarclayRdSodus_Sum2003.jpg
OMID_smoky408_BarclayRdSodus_Sum2003.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
 #1576120  by D Alex

What's up with OM these days? They have those miles and miles of track paralleling Rt. 104, heading to the Xerox property, but this line hasn't seen a train in, what, months? Years? Is this line even being maintained any longer?
 #1576173  by BR&P

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Did the Mott's bottling plant ever have a carload? The siding seems intact and unused.
"Did" or "does"? In the early days of OMID, that was the largest customer on the line. Inbound loads of rice hulls and diatomaceous earth, outbound loads of apple sauce and juice. They would load 2 to 3 cars a day, and the outbound loads went west to California in 8-car blocks. On a few occasions they required a second switch the same day.

If you mean "does", I'll let somebody else answer that one.
 #1576247  by Matt Langworthy

D Alex wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:45 pm What's up with OM these days? They have those miles and miles of track paralleling Rt. 104, heading to the Xerox property, but this line hasn't seen a train in, what, months? Years? Is this line even being maintained any longer?

The westernmost customer is currently just west of Rt 21 in Williamson. The biodiesel plant in Ontario shut down years ago. I have chased the RR 3 times since last May of last year. Based on freight cars appearing and then disappearing at other times, it looks like OMID operates a few days per week. The best bet is to get to Maple Ave in Sodus around 8 AM and wait to see if an Alco leaves the engine house.

Also, the spur for Great Lakes Cold Storage in Sodus was reconfigured around the end of last summer, which allowed OMID to reduce the Maple Ave crossing from three tracks to one.
 #1594360  by mdevall1

Some of you may already know, but Ontario Midland recently purchased a locomotive which was previously owned by the West Tennessee Railroad. It is a 1976 MLW M-420W that was originally owned by Canadian National Railway (initially numbered Engine #2560 and later Engine #3560), according to a recent roster update on The Diesel Shop. I'm not sure if the locomotive has been put in service yet, but there was a Facebook post earlier this week by The Lettering Lounge of Williamson showing an an image of the new OMID logo and Engine #3560.

I'm not sure if the new locomotive is going to replace Engine #3 or if OMID is just adding on. From recent videos I've seen on YouTube, it seems that OMID has been primarily using Engine #408 and Engine #36. I haven't been to New York State since 2019 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, so I can't be certain. Last time I was by there in Sodus, which was three years ago, Engine #3 was sitting on a side rail near the engine house. It is the oldest locomotive OMID currently has, which is a 1954 ALCO S-4.
 #1595316  by mdevall1

nessman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:18 pm Here's the picture...

What we don't see are the reporting marks, so unclear if the new engine is leased or not.

https://www.facebook.com/LetteringLoung ... 9499337829
Ontario Midland Railroad received a $2.1 million grant from New York State in February towards the replacement of an older switch locomotive, which I assume is Engine #3. I believe OMID actually got Engine #3560 from the West Tennessee Railroad in late 2021 as the most recent update on The Diesel Shop website was in December 2021 and had it included on the roster list.

post1591099.html#p1591099

Since the engine OMID just received was built back in 1976, I doubt that it will reduce nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide emissions much. So...I'm not sure about that particular part of the grant description.

OMID also received a $100,000 grant to resurface the railroad crossing at Wilson Road just outside the village of Wolcott. As far as I know, their current customers don't go any further east than North Rose unless they recently picked up a new one out in that direction. I'm not sure how good of a condition the rails are that way.
 #1595326  by BR&P

nessman wrote:What we don't see are the reporting marks, so unclear if the new engine is leased or not.
In some cases leased locos are given the lessee's reporting marks, other times they remain lettered for the lessor. Obviously if they ARE lettered for the lessor we know they're leased, but an OMID reporting mark does not guarantee that they are owned - case in point being the RSA Leasing locos which carried OMID marks for many years after start-up.
 #1595424  by lvrr325

Then you have that group of SD60s NYS&W was leasing where the wreck replacement turned up with GMTX lettering I don't believe the others had, so it can be one way, the other, or both.

But I would tend to believe OMID purchased the engine from WTNN. It appears the WTNN has gone all GE with a fleet of mostly dash-7s, including five former CR units probably all of which switched the OMID interchange at some point in their lives.
 #1602965  by mdevall1

I see that Engine #3560 is now in service. A local railfan posted a YouTube video of it hauling cars from Williamson to Sodus on July 19th. It seems that Engine #3 is still being used as well, primarily for spotting cars at the rail yard and for a few hauls. A YouTube video of that engine has also been posted recently. Sounds like Engine #3 also has the horns from Engine #408 on it.

At least we are getting to see more videos of OMID locomotives besides Engine #36 and Engine #408 all the time. ;0P Speaking of those two, apparently, it looks like that both of them are in need of some repairs according to a description post on YouTube. I'm aware that both engines have been doing the majority of the rail hauls in the past few years, with Engine #408 doing the bulk.

We shall see how things progress...
 #1602973  by mdevall1

nessman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:24 pm LA&L just purchased a 55% controlling stake of the OMID. I suspect we'll be seeing their power on the line to supplement or replace 3, 36 and 408.
Yes...one would expect so. Engines #36 and #408 already have the design pattern of LA&L locomotives. They're all tied together in one way or another. ^_^

The deal is expected to close on August 13th according to an article posted by Railfan & Railroad Magazine, after looking online for information.

https://railfan.com/livonia-avon-lakevi ... o-midland/
 #1603020  by BR&P

mdevall1 wrote:
At least we are getting to see more videos of OMID locomotives besides Engine #36 and Engine #408 all the time. I'm aware that both engines have been doing the majority of the rail hauls in the past 42+ years, with Engine #408 doing the bulk.
Fixed it for ya! :wink:
 #1603371  by mdevall1

BR&P wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:12 pm
mdevall1 wrote:
At least we are getting to see more videos of OMID locomotives besides Engine #36 and Engine #408 all the time. I'm aware that both engines have been doing the majority of the rail hauls in the past 42+ years, with Engine #408 doing the bulk.
Fixed it for ya! :wink:
Like I said...these past few years. ;0P