• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by RustyRail5634

That photo was from June 30th, Conrail's last full run. SA-31 made the trip yesterday but only to Red Bank, and that will be the norm for the time being.

Furthermore, the proper hands have taken notice and recorded some of the unfortunate slander aimed towards Chesapeake & Delaware on previous forums, and it has been recommended to those who did so to cease in the future. Be respectful to the property and the crews, and we won't have any problems . . .
Last edited by RustyRail5634 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ppbhist

While delivering mail today I was in the right spot to catch the loaded Woodhaven run crossing Route 9 shortly before noon. I've been following this thread since the beginning, and I'll post more when I can.
Jerry

https://youtu.be/_Re0yG33_ww
  by AceMacSD

GSC wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:35 pm
Pumpers, there was a banner on the front of 4408. It said, "Last Run of Conrail SA31. CNJ, CR, NS, C&D"
That banner was real classy. BTW, why is CSX not mentioned on it? After all it should be CNJ, CR, CSX/NS (or at least CSAO), C&D. Some credit should at least be given to the carrier whose engines we spent more time running down here.

I hope that you all enjoyed today's run. So much for qualifying runs, huh?

Some of you out there need to remember to stay clear of the tracks while out following us. The trains may be fun to look at and take your pictures of but please do so from a safe distance. We have enough people wandering around the tracks that don't have an interest in the trains, so please do us a favor and help us by giving us some space to work. Also, realize that these are not toy trains. These trains do not stop easily and you can be hurt or worse.
  by RailsEast

RustyRail5634 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:50 pm That photo was from June 30th, Conrail's last full run. SA-31 made the trip yesterday but only to Red Bank, and that will be the norm for the time being.

Furthermore, the proper hands have taken notice and recorded some of the unfortunate slander aimed towards Chesapeake & Delaware on previous forums, and it has been recommended to those who did so to cease in the future. Be respectful to the property and the crews, and we won't have any problems . . .
Yes, it's none of my business anymore since I now live several hundred miles away from the Southern, but it's damn hard to attract new customers after derogatory, defamatory and possibly slanderous remarks about the former operator and now the new operator of this line. If I were a potential customer, and I read this forum (which is very popular), I would surely reconsider any decision regarding potential service for my business on this line. How about some positive reports/opinions instead of "this went wrong/that went wrong"? Positivity is a great thing, especially when there are new folks in town.

Rails To Trails Conservancy is a good organization, but do any of us really want to see them take over a decade from now?

Just my .02,
Thx,
Chris
  by pdtrains

All things considered, a decent 1st day for the D&RR. I wish them well. and if they give twice weekly service, it cant help be better than once weekly service.
As for the negativity....ppl always like to yap about "what went wrong" , especially in New Jersey

If i were a potential consignee, what ppl on this forum say, would have absolutely zero effect on any decision about rail service. I dont think anyone could seriously think of this forum as anything more than chatter, rumor and opinion among railfans.
  by CharlieL

Threats, veiled or otherwise, are neither necessary nor called for. I think the majority of comments are and have been positive in regards to D&RR's takeover. I suspect we all want them to succeed.
  by Jersey Rail FIlmmakers

Yes, it's none of my business anymore since I now live several hundred miles away from the Southern, but it's damn hard to attract new customers after derogatory, defamatory and possibly slanderous remarks about the former operator and now the new operator of this line. If I were a potential customer, and I read this forum (which is very popular), I would surely reconsider any decision regarding potential service for my business on this line. How about some positive reports/opinions instead of "this went wrong/that went wrong"? Positivity is a great thing, especially when there are new folks in town.

Rails To Trails Conservancy is a good organization, but do any of us really want to see them take over a decade from now?

Just my .02,
Thx,
Chris
Well said Chris. I think some people need to realize that this is a smaller and newer class III railroad. Words/slander can have a big effect on them, therefore people should try to be respectful and think before they speak.
  by AceMacSD

Our customers both CSA and C&D base their decisions off of what works for their business not the opinions of those who sit by the tracks watching trains. Their decisions to use rail service over trucks is going to be determined by the bottom line, cost. Whether it be the cost of shipping, labor, fuel, and time (after all time is money), this is what our customers look at when determining how to run their business.
This slander on these boards do have an impact to sway opinions. If there is a customer out there who does see these forums and the negativity, chances are they will do their own research to validate whether or not to do business. In doing that proper research, they will see what information they can rely on business-wise and what is just someone beefing over not seeing a "sufficient" variety of power or trains.
We at Conrail and C&D will continue to provide quality service to our customers and hope to grow our customer base as well.
As always, please be safe out there and let us work without any issues.
  by JohnFromJersey

At the end of the day, this is just a forum for railroad buffs. I would raise my eyebrow at a business that would make their decision(s) for rail service based on a bunch of anonymous/unnamed railfans arguing over trains online. That being said, many companies would probably include our information in any research, and DRRR is a relatively new company, and this thread is definitely one of the first things that come up when you search them

I must say, 2005 has a LOUD horn
  by Ken W2KB

If certain statements made on this forum are indeed libel, the railroad can sue the individual that made them and perhaps also the forum owners for defamation. The NJ Statute: "N.J.S.A. 2A:14-3. 1 year; libel or slander
Every action at law for libel or slander shall be commenced within 1 year next after the publication of the alleged libel or slander. L.1951 (1st SS), c.344."

Note that "libel" is a written statement, "slander" is an oral statement.

Overall, it is inadvisable for the railfan community to defame any railroad or its employees, simply adds fuel to the fire to those employees of a railroad who dislike railfans.
  by CharlieL

Where did they end up parking the engine? Red Bank? Is that going to be it's "home" until the Freehold - Farmingdale stretch is complete?

PS: Looks like the first run was a success !!