Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1601232  by CSRR4266

Jonathan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:14 pm Can you imagine how much revenue they'd lose if they sold the steam engine?
I don't think they would. They made pretty decent income when it was down for a while. Plus people always seemed to complain that it got their clothing dirty and some other nonsense when it did run, though, that could be just the way it is being run with the current management as I don't seem to recall any complaints when it was operated with a better crew, but that may be just it, the crew was better at operating & managing the the steam pressure.

Swirk is definitely always in the cab, doesn't mean he knows how to operate it efficiently and properly.
 #1601238  by CSRR4266

Jonathan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:40 pm I think swirk does a good job running 7470, from the 3 times ive chased him, 7470 didn't have a problem when he was behind the throttle.
Yeah, but chasing him means you don't feel the herky jerky on board the train. The car right behind the engine is always going to have some bumping, but when you feel it 5 or 6 cars down away from the train and feel the the train slacking in or out hard, there's a problem there.
 #1601240  by Westbound31

CSRR4266 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:14 am You forgot to mention the time they were moving 252 with the backhoe using the chains by the golf course crossing and the chains broke sending 252 on a free fall down the hill towards an approaching revenue steam train. Very fortunate they had an operator who thought quickly and bailed out of the loader and ran after the engine cranking the handbrake. Anyone else, I’m fairly certain they would have gone belly up that day.
Was it 252? I thought it was 216 that was sent careening down the hill. Either way, that was such a near miss for them. The last shop foreman left because he was fighting with Swirk over getting the new dome car during the winter. He kept telling swirk it was a bad idea and he needed the crew in the shop to get the equipment ready for the upcoming season. But swirk insisted on sending plow trains through the Notch. Foreman told him they’d derail and swirk wouldn’t take that for an answer. Many derails and crew times wasted later, the operation was canned but not before tempers flared and a railroad qualified, hard working mechanic was replaced with an airplane mechanic.

I see 7470 was out today on the main for a bit on display while Solomon did another radio event on the platform. This time with a band. Chains and barriers still up on the platform so not sure how much of an event it really was. No patrons allowed on platform during this that I could see. Just swirk and Solomon and whatever radio crews were there.
 #1601241  by CSRR573

Jonathan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:40 pm I think swirk does a good job running 7470, from the 3 times ive chased him, 7470 didn't have a problem when he was behind the throttle.
HAHAH you've clearly never ridden onboard when hes in charge of it vs when some one like Court, Gordon or Joe was behind the throttle. Dudes a cancer to the railroad plain and simple
 #1601242  by ConwayScenic252

The platform restriction isn’t COVID. I was at Strasburg RR today and it was open and free to public. Met a knowledgeable member who told me some things I didn’t know. Railroad Museum of PA had a model display out and were very friendly. Same thing with Hobo and Clark’s. Open and friendly. Nothing is a COVID issue, that pandemic era has passed and things should be open. Should, is the key word. The swirk/soloman era is really kicking in now, there are zero employees from the Russ/Paul era. At this point I’m repeating things that have been said since the Mass Bay drama last December. Swirk cut off all railfan connections after that. I was really excited what was in store when he first purchased the railroad- Russ went out with a bang with the Red Ball Special and it was interesting and exciting to see what Swirk would do. While Derek was with Swirk, lots of things were done right. The 501 had a cosmetic restoration and 4266 led the Red Ball Special. 1751 appeared many times, 252 was a normal sight for the Notch Train and everything was perfect. It’s sad to see this railroad go down this way, if anything I’m not too keen on riding anymore. A photographer as the marketing manager isn’t good.
 #1601245  by Reader#108

Then I will tell you, unequivocally, that you have zero idea about steam operation and proper train handling. You are a "fan"....which is absolutely fine, but you need to understand that just because someone is somewhere doesn't mean they know what they are doing. And P42.....I have read some real weird stuff on these pages, but honestly, the 7470 for sale and get a smaller engine theory went right out the window with 108 in 1990. The railroad is too big for a smaller engine. The grades would smoke anything smaller. And a bigger point, if you don't know how to maintain a regular size engine, what makes you think they can maintain a smaller one? Lol......all these attractions going with big stuff (1309, 2102) and you and you want to downsize? I'm glad you aren't managing my business.....
 #1601249  by NHV 669

Westbound31 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:50 pm The last shop foreman left because he was fighting with Swirk over getting the new dome car during the winter. He kept telling swirk it was a bad idea and he needed the crew in the shop to get the equipment ready for the upcoming season. But swirk insisted on sending plow trains through the Notch. Foreman told him they’d derail and swirk wouldn’t take that for an answer. Many derails and crew times wasted later, the operation was canned but not before tempers flared and a railroad qualified, hard working mechanic was replaced with an airplane mechanic.
I remember the last attempt, there must have been at least a 5-10' drift at Gateway, and there had been a decent storm less than a week before. They didn't even make it to Fourth Iron.
 #1601251  by Jonathan

CSRR573 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:08 pm
HAHAH you've clearly never ridden onboard when hes in charge of it vs when some one like Court, Gordon or Joe was behind the throttle. Dudes a cancer to the railroad plain and simple

Don't get me wrong, Courtney was my favorite engineer, not even Swirk can be better than him. 7470 was his baby, shame he retired, 7470 would be safe with him at the throttle. I'd give anything to see ol' Court run that steamer again.
 #1601271  by NHN503

CSRR4266 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:55 am I sadly can confirm & agree with all these comments. When they first came to town they came inerent gasket because it was cheaper and modifying it upon its arrival. Ever wonder why a certain dome car leaks in the rain?
Ha, I'd completely forgot about the gaskets. When we ran into the issue I contacted Webb over at Webb Rail as they had just redone all the windows in one of their domes and they gave me all info that we needed to get that done and yup too expensive to do it right so let's Jerry rig it. Now it has that nice indoor waterfall feature when it rains.

And don't forget when he turned his back on the Cotton Valley motorcar club, because he didn't want any volunteers anymore.
 #1601292  by CSRR4266

Jonathan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:58 pm What made Rudy better than Court? If I ever get to be an engineer for 7470, i'm mainly going to engineer it the way Court did.
Uh, well, Rudy started his career working on steam and came with 30+ years of locomotive experience. Fairly certain Rudy taught court a few tricks to increase his skills.

No disrespect, but if you hop in the engineers seat of 7470, you’re not going to operate it like court, that’s something that takes experience, you got to learn her language, listen to what she’s saying to you in audible & sensory queues, too much pressure, not enough, too cold, too hot, reverser too far, not far enough, needs more lubricant, too much, etc… Court knew her inside and out, literally & figuratively. Rudy had the experience of steam and working the brake valve system she is equipped with that many engineers today have never touched, let alone heard about.
 #1601294  by Reader#108

Rudy definitely taught Court. And Court taught us all so many different things. We were so fortunate to be there and be trained by THE BEST. Rudy, Court, Gordon, Bobby, Fred.....just to name a few.

4266, anyone who thinks they are just gonna hop in the seat has a narrow view. It is a long term expenditure to get there. And not just anyone can sit in it as you know. You have to be able to feel her....to listen when she talks, to respond to what she is saying....operating a Locomotive is so much more than turning a key and going. It's all in the feel.