Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1601177  by Reader#108

4266.....lets not just gloss this over.....

The gent in question was MORE than qualified. In fact, he was far better than the nozzle that is now the "road foreman". Probably why there was an issue. The engineer in question had a LONG history of operating some of the largest freight trains in New England. When you tell people that something is wrong, and they dont want to hear about "safety issues" then "management" goes to extremes. There are those of us who have witnessed it first hand. So, just because you like the place or think its great doesnt make it Mecca.

And P42.......PLEASE....enough with the foaming pipe dream of steam running properly. 7470 is the operational loco. 501 is allegedly due to go in at some point. They have no qualified people to operate them. As long as Bryan is doing the maintenance on the engine it will be fine, as long as the owner doesnt have his paws on the throttle. Causing wheel slip because "the railfans like it" will destroy that machine. And as was pointed out by people who know, the consistent up and down with the fire will cause boiler issues at some point. Get a Climax......this is not a 5mph ride with logs.
 #1601178  by Reader#108

CSRR4266 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:58 pm
Jonathan wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:17 pm I still have a good feeling about the future of this railroad. As ive said before, I'm someone who wants to work there regardless of who's running the place or how it's run or whatever.
I'd say that with very cautious optimism.
Dream on. While this owner is in charge, it will continue on its southerly decline......
 #1601179  by MEC407

It is so discouraging and troubling to read these firsthand accounts of problems at the railroad. What a shame. :(
 #1601181  by CSRR4266

I sadly can confirm & agree with all these comments. When they first came to town they came in with such pomp & circumstance that it was exciting to see where they were going to take the railroad. After seeing the crap they started doing like canceling an order of proper window gasket seals for a dome car because it was far too expensive and ordering a different gasket because it was cheaper and modifying it upon its arrival. Ever wonder why a certain dome car leaks in the rain? There’s your answer. Highly skilled maintenance personnel left shortly after this incident as they didn’t want their name associated with the repairs and maintenance if the owners were going to cut corners with improper or inferior product.
 #1601183  by MEC407

Sounds like we're witnessing the Guilfordization of Conway Scenic.
 #1601203  by CSRR4266

Westbound31 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:40 pm a video of crews rerailing a notch train car at the golf course switch using a chain and a backhoe where the chain breaks nearly causing the car to crash into the worker...
You forgot to mention the time they were moving 252 with the backhoe using the chains by the golf course crossing and the chains broke sending 252 on a free fall down the hill towards an approaching revenue steam train. Very fortunate they had an operator who thought quickly and bailed out of the loader and ran after the engine cranking the handbrake. Anyone else, I’m fairly certain they would have gone belly up that day.
Last edited by CSRR4266 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1601209  by MEC407

CSRR4266 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:14 am ...the chains broke sending 252 on a free fall down the hill towards an approaching revenue steam train.
Good Lord. Maybe this isn't the Guilfordization of Conway Scenic, but rather the MM&A-ization.
 #1601213  by ProRail

It sounds like when the new ownership took over they were heavily financed by loans or other credit in order to complete the sale. The recent purchases of MoW Equipment and another dome with other assets backed as collateral tells me that they are heavily leveraged. It won't take much to stretch the financial rubber band past the point of snapping. We all best hope someone else with deep pockets comes along to save the ruins in the aftermath.
 #1601216  by CSRR573

Didnt realize Derek left. Pretty sure he learned everything straight from Paul. What would happen in a bankruptcy? Perhaps they would be better off running as a non-profit? Get some grants as a museum? Just thinking out loud here.
 #1601229  by p42thedowneaster

Reader#108 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:47 am And P42.......PLEASE....enough with the foaming pipe dream of steam running properly. 7470 is the operational loco. 501 is allegedly due to go in at some point. They have no qualified people to operate them. ...

.... Get a Climax......this is not a 5mph ride with logs.
Right it doesn't have to be a Climax (Heisler would be faster ;) )...just a smaller boilered rod engine could do. They've been fighting with that 7470 for 50 years...sell it while it's running well. I also think, we may find a little engine with a varible-fuel firebox would be much better to have around if they ever shut off the coal supply. The rules are tightening up, and what they dont outlaw they make prohibitively expensive.

With a smaller engine, the whole steam program could shift to different model. Maybe instead of running the regular trip, you just take the Black Mountain open car and go down to Redstone and shove back?
 #1601230  by CSRR4266

I always preferred the Pacific class myself. Though would be a sacrilege to sell off the 7470 where she is the logo and identity of the railroad. But gotta do what you gotta do if the opportunity presents itself, and with the current mgmt, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at some point down the road.
 #1601231  by Jonathan

I really cannot see the owners or any other new management selling the 7470, it's the crown jewel of the railroad and a New Hampshire icon. I can see, however, them purchasing another steam engine for use.

Can you imagine how much revenue they'd lose if they sold the steam engine, or how many customers they would lose? Say what you want about Swirk...... if he's smart enough, he wouldn't dream of letting the engine that started it all go to another railroad. Having seen 7470 4 times after he took over, it seems he's always in the cab either as an engineer or a second fireman.