Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1600105  by CPF66

CSX has finished repairs on the 330 and the 353, both of which have been sidelined with major issues for atleast two years. By the sounds all of the other sidelined 300's are being repaired as well. CSX also recently got the MEC 316 back in service after it had a mechanical failure a few weeks ago. They also installed a toilet which was capping the unit as trail only.
 #1600111  by MECFAN

Makes you wonder how many would have been returned to service instead of scrapped. I'm sure some were beyond bringing back.
 #1600137  by mbrproductions

What type of power is on ex-pan am territory as of now? is it all GEs?
 #1600144  by newpylong

No major power changes outside of M426/7 going to CSX power. There will be more changes but the next major power move will be when the B&E takes over PAS and they get the better of the GEs.
 #1600153  by GuilfordRailSD45

Additionally, CSX sent some 4-axle power up on M426 the other day. To be exact: 2790 (GP38-2), 1142 (MP15), and 6026 (GP40-2). Not sure where exactly this power will be used, and I've read at least one rumor/comment that the purpose of this was to send 1 of each model up for evaluation purposes... e.g., see which model(s) best-suit particular jobs / locales.
 #1600176  by newpylong

I have been told M427 and 426 are now departing Ayer within one hour of going on duty and if 22K is late inbound it's made to wait instead of vice versa. Supposedly trains departing Rigby are leaving within an hour of going OD as well. I can see the annoyed faces of the crews who love to throw out the anchor in my mind.

As for those 300s getting repaired; the parts were already on order, so just following through with it.
Last edited by newpylong on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1600177  by CN9634

M427 crew is coming on at 0830 and train is now built. In most cases the power is already at the west end, so they jump on and go (pending any issues or other switchers in the way)
 #1600179  by newpylong

Imagine that lol.

Some clarity on their plans are finally begining to come to light. It sounds like all of Pan Am will be called the New England Division with many Subdivisions (and Industrial tracks) like the rest of their system. The Headquarters will be Rigby and they intend to spend big $ there. Dispatchers stay in Iron Horse as discussed, moving across the road to the new joint dispatching center when that opens and the old B&M HQ is vacated and turned over to the MBTA. They will have no presence there at that point except the dispatchers and the freight business.

Sounds like the carshop and roundhouse will likely stay at Waterville but the Back Shop's days are numbered. Heavy repairs at Sekirk the rest at a new smaller facility to be built in Rigby.
 #1600201  by johnpbarlow

Any speculation re: E Deerfield shops and engine servicing facilities? It may mean nothing to upcoming B&E ops but G&W RR web site job board has 6 positions P&W is trying to hire at Worcester: Train Master, Assistant General Manager, Road Master, Mechanic, Manager Mechanical, and Diesel Locomotive Mechanic. Will B&E ops be operated out of P&W offices at Worcester?

https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GEN1025/ ... IEOcCwyuow
 #1600206  by jamoldover

newpylong wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:16 pm Some clarity on their plans are finally begining to come to light. It sounds like all of Pan Am will be called the New England Division with many Subdivisions (and Industrial tracks) like the rest of their system. The Headquarters will be Rigby and they intend to spend big $ there. Dispatchers stay in Iron Horse as discussed, moving across the road to the new joint dispatching center when that opens and the old B&M HQ is vacated and turned over to the MBTA. They will have no presence there at that point except the dispatchers and the freight business.
Based on how the various Conrail and other predecessor lines were renamed, I'm going to make a guess that it will look something like this:
  • Freight Main Line (District 1) > Freight Main First Subdivision
  • Freight Main Line (District 2) > Freight Main Second Subdivision
  • Northern Main Line > Northern Main Subdivision
  • Western Route Main Line > Western Main Subdivision
  • Worcester Route Main Line > Worcester Main Subdivision
  • Brunswick Branch > Brunswick Subdivision
  • Bucksport Branch > Bucksport Subdivision
  • Hillsboro Branch > Hillsboro Subdivision
  • Hinkley Branch > Hinkley Subdivision
  • Mountain Branch > Mountain Subdivision
  • Portsmouth Branch > Portsmouth Subdivision
  • Rumford Branch > Rumford Subdivision
It's possible that some of the current branches may get downgraded to Running Track status, but I don't think it's likely unless they plan on putting some of them under the control of a yardmaster instead of the dispatcher. CSX tends to use Subdivision for any line where movement is under dispatcher control, regardless of how busy it is.

Anything that's currently an Industrial Track will probably remain that way.
 #1600207  by eolesen

Railroads once ran scheduled passenger trains together with manifest freight. They can run scheduled freight, if they are willing to make the commitment to shippers and employees.
Uh, the "SR" in PSR is all about running trains on a schedule. For some reason, railroaders today seem opposed to running and being held accountable to a schedule.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1600208  by newpylong

I don't feel this is the place for the discussion but it is false to claim railroaders do not want to be held accountable to a schedule. It is the rest of PSR that they do not like because it provides more value to the shareholder than customers while reducing workforce. Discussions ad nauseum across the industry on this.

How this does relate back to Pan Am is that CSX needs to ratify new operating agreements with the ST asap so that the crews get hybrid compensation (hourly and mileage based). Pan Am crews for the most part don't care whether they make it to their terminal on their train or a taxi. 12 hours is 12 hours. There is no incentive to move freight.
 #1600214  by newpylong

johnpbarlow wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:43 am Any speculation re: E Deerfield shops and engine servicing facilities? It may mean nothing to upcoming B&E ops but G&W RR web site job board has 6 positions P&W is trying to hire at Worcester: Train Master, Assistant General Manager, Road Master, Mechanic, Manager Mechanical, and Diesel Locomotive Mechanic. Will B&E ops be operated out of P&W offices at Worcester?

https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GEN1025/ ... IEOcCwyuow
That's a good question. There is not much office space in Deerfield (there is a single office in the yard office by the hump for the Trainmaster) and some training space in the Locomotive Shop, but that's about it. There is some space out in the new Mechanicville yard, but not sure they'd want to be out that way. I would think running things out of Worcester if there is space would make sense. I am not sure how much GWI would want to spend on building new facilities when they are just the operator. Will do some digging.
 #1600230  by BandA

Since G&W owns property in Worcester that would make more sense if they have the room.... then again, Worcester might be more valuable to sell, lol.