Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1585949  by CharlieL

Bracdude, it could just go - poof !!

JohnFromJersey, using duckduckgo type in "toms river high rise" There are several links there to follow.

R&DB it was bad 40 years ago. Used to live in Pine Lake Park, went to get a pizza just shy of Lakehurst rd, OldGuy pulled out in front of me, slammed on brakes, 5 year old flew over seatback and gashed forehead on radio knob. Kid had unbuckled rear seat belt. Was 2 lanes then.
 #1585954  by Bracdude181

I couldn’t find the one that mentions they were looking at NJT rail service, but I did find the one on all the other development. Forgot that they were separate. It’s been a while since I’ve read these.

Interestingly it called for “commercial growth” in and around Ciba Geicy.

https://www.shorenewsnetwork.com/2020/0 ... ld-a-city/
 #1585967  by jdh823

The amount of speculation and over-optimism here is hilarious.

30-50 cars on transload? That's hilarious. Name some companies that would possibly want to use it, and be realistic.

Also any POSSIBLE suitor for the southern potentially would take a long time. There would have to be money talked about, approved by the board, etc etc. Not just a simple task done in a day.

Put a little thought and realism before you write up a post don't be an armchair economist, lmao.
 #1585971  by JohnFromJersey

@CharlieL
This should unironically be renamed to TRIT Speculation. There is currently nothing happening with the TRIT besides maybe some crossing rebuilds, which are not that fun to talk about on their own, so they usually lead to speculation like this.

They did mention NJ Transit being involved in that plan a bunch, FWIW

In that article, however, they do mention they want to use the Ciba Geigy thing as a mixed-use mostly industrial site. Also mentioned at least one industrial park outside of Ciba Geigy.
Talking about restoring rail service, passenger or freight, on the TRIT when a) there's not much industry there at this moment and b) the SOUS that this connects to is a POS in terms of its maintenance state is laughable, but I think it holds merit. It's talking about the super long term, which most development plans in New Jersey, and the United States, rarely account for.

If the town wants to do this, they most likely will, since Jersey Shore towns have a long history of strong-arming their plans or being strong-armed into someone else's plans (Lakewood). If that's going to happen, they should at least try to be somewhat responsible about it, and try to have some sort of rail plans so all the new industry and people that will be brought in by their mini-city plan won't be even worse for the roads. Obviously trying to work rail into their whole scheme is going to be more effort than just posting it on a railroad forum, but it would be responsible on the part of Toms River's town government to include it in this boondoggle that is most certainly going to happen.

@Bracdude181
@jdh823 is right, at this moment there is nothing major that would consider that. The only way that would happen is whatever Toms River's mayor wants goes through, and they include it in the initial plans or traffic gets so bad they have to mitigate that years after that fact.
Last edited by JohnFromJersey on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1585974  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Lakewood would be the area where most of transload customers would be. Every now and then I hear that they would rather go pick up their stuff from somewhere as close as possible rather than driving to Newark and Philly to go pick it up. Admittedly the 30-50 car estimate is a bit optimistic. Maybe around 20 cars on most trains is more realistic, but in the end it will depend on how many use the service and how often.

Several times I’ve heard about Church and Dwight in Lakewood. Supposedly they want some form of rail service more than anyone else. Not sure if it’s distribution or manufacturing they do there. All Chemical Transport is another one I could see using the service. Go pick up the chemicals from the terminal and bring them to the customer.

There’s places in that industrial park that deal with plastics, marble, building materials, waste, lumber, chemicals, etc. Lots of warehouses too but they use intermodal, and as nice as it would be I don’t think any rail company is gonna haul containers from Port Newark to Lakewood.
 #1585977  by JohnFromJersey

@Bracdude181

Hm, good point. However since it would be a large group of smaller businesses that would use it, they would have to form some sort of council in order to lobby/attract attention from CR or whoever, there's no way they would be able to do that individually. It would also be better to build the joint somewhere in Howell or Lakewood or even Lakehurst (which is pretty undensely populated) instead of on the TRIT, where the locals would get irate over it. Ciba Geigy most likely will also be too big for that, IF a trans-loading facility ever happens, it won't need to be that big IMO

BTW, Church & Dwight is a massive manufacturing and supply company that produces/owns/etc the following brands:
Aim Toothpaste
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
Arrid
Close-Up
Mentadent
Nair
Orajel
OxiClean + Other laundry detergents
Pepsodent
RUB A535
Trojan + Pregnancy tests for finding out when if those did or didn't work, lol
Waterpik

As you can see, they own and manufacture quite a lot of recognizable household brands. They are HQ in Ewing, but have operations in Lakewood too.
 #1586003  by CharlieL

You know, the solution to all this is blindingly obvious: WE should be running the railroad. The people who run it now, with their many years of experience, are obviously allowing reality to stand in their way.
 #1600085  by JohnFromJersey

Not shocked. The question is, when will they reopen the line, and what will they do with it? Would Builders General and the Propane place get anything?

I think what's most likely is a large transloading operation/yard somewhere on the TRIT. I'd imagine that won't come until after FIT-SOUS is reconnected and after Lakewood-Lakehurst is finished as well.
 #1600108  by JohnFromJersey

With fuel prices going through the roof, and as NJ is a deep blue state, and many blue policies are focused on climate change, I could see DRRR possibly getting a separate grant to build a transloading facility that would take more trucks off of the road, and branding it as a "green" policy since trains are 10x better and more efficient at moving stuff.
 #1600158  by R&DB

Folks, I keep seeing all this talk about a transload facility along the TRIT. The only land large enough is the BASF (former Ciba) site. Unfortunatly that would require clearing a lot of forest. All the cleared land has solar panels on it. Gougle sat view to see for yourself.
I have previously stated my concerns about Rte37 traffic and the crossing.