Railroad Forums 

• Palmer railcam,

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1599055  by NHV 669

Correction: it appears that the cameras coming down was the result of a business decision by Steaming Tender ownership, per a comment by the channel that runs the feeds. Can't say that was a very wise choice on their end.
 #1599060  by Train60

Could be that they noticed a drop in the number of people stopping by the restaurant to watch trains (in person) and then eating lunch or dinner.

If people want the cameras to return they should let the owners of the restaurant know this (phone, email, on the restaurants Facebook page, in person, etc.) since its safe to say they won't return unless people push for their return.

In my view it was probably a mistake to take down the cameras, since they probably provided a certain amount of free advertising for the restaurant.
 #1599538  by Matt Johnson

Just noticed it was gone. I wouldn't have ever known about the restaurant had it not been for the railcam.

Could it have been seen as a security or privacy concern? I could see arguments both pro and con for the cam there. Otherwise, yeah, seems odd.
 #1600474  by Matt Johnson

Per a comment on youtube:

S T said there were numerous false alarm calls to fire & police referencing camera
 #1602816  by sodaspop

Matt is correct:
I had a long talk with them about the 2 Palmer rail cams going off.
They said the police and fire were getting prank calls of something going on which wasn't, getting 'swatted,' etc.
They also said the cams actually are owned and managed by the railroad, but the restaurant requested they be turned off.
Also said they heard form a lot of disappointed people, but have no immediate plans to asked that they be reactivated, but hope to some day.
keith
 #1602865  by NHV 669

The cameras are actually managed by the "Boston and Maine Live" YT channel, who does the other cameras along the B&A, as well as the one up on the Moosehead. They just hit 100k subscribers this afternoon.
 #1602930  by BandA

Maybe emergency services shouldn't accept anonymous internet messages.
 #1602952  by eolesen

So much for see something say something, eh?

Emergency Services don't get to discount the severity of a report based off of where it comes from.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
 #1603028  by BandA

Most people with computers have cell phones. E911 usually works. To take it to the absurd extreme, if the Palmer police get an email with a North Korean IP address should they give it the same weight?

The town website lists a phone number (unclear if it is a regular-business or emergency number) and a fax number and email addresses for the police chief and administrator.
 #1603031  by NHV 669

Multiple comments/sources have stated phone calls, why are we dragging on this thread with this false "anonymous internet user" argument?

I literally saw a guy on there tell everyone he called authorities because the switch heaters were "red".
 #1603090  by BandA

Kudos to the "good Samaritan" as a working switch heater could burn a trespasser.