Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1598451  by twropr

On May 27 I saw LAKE SHORE 48 pass the railcam at Fairport, NY with 11 cars. Second car appeared to be an AmLounge, and there was an additional coach. Heard 49 by the detector at Herkimer, NY this evening report 52 axles. I hope this expanded consists lasts throughout the summer.
Andy
 #1598705  by rschroe1

Does anyone here have any insights into the removal of business class service from the LSL as of July 2? My understanding is that at least for now, the half cafe/half business car is being replaced with a full lounge car (might not be the right Amtrak term here but hopefully you get the point).

While I see the need for the full lounge, personally I loved the business class product. My concern is that when this same change happened on the Cardinal a few years ago, business class has never returned. Any thoughts on if/when business class might return?
 #1599027  by shadyjay

A second coach needs to be added to 448/449... I was on it a couple weeks ago and it was packed to the brim. Does Amtrak not have another Amfleet coach lying around that they could tack on to the anemic 448/449? The eastbound consist was one cafe/business class, one coach, and one sleeper. The lack of a baggage car made the car even that more packed.
 #1599089  by rschroe1

I have a round trip CHI-ALB scheduled later this summer in coach. I'm trying to figure out if it would be more advantageous to be in the two 448/449 cars or the three 48/49 cars.

My initial theory is that 448 eastbound will be picking up fewer passengers than 48. I imagine both overnight may be pretty full.

Likewise, I would think 449 will be emptier at Albany than 49.

Do I have this wrong? Any advice on what might be best?
 #1599117  by StLouSteve

>>>
I have a round trip CHI-ALB scheduled later this summer in coach. I'm trying to figure out if it would be more advantageous to be in the two 448/449 cars or the three 48/49 cars.
>>>

I don't know that you will have that choice. Usually train crew leaves the Boston cars for New England stops and will direct you to sit in a car on the 48/49 side.
 #1599208  by Greg Moore

Yeah, I believe the only time it makes a difference is for sleepers since they're assigned.
 #1599224  by rschroe1

StLouSteve wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:05 am >>>
>>>

I don't know that you will have that choice. Usually train crew leaves the Boston cars for New England stops and will direct you to sit in a car on the 48/49 side.
Thank you for the info. I am trying to maintain some degree of social distancing if possible, though I realize the train is likely sold out at some point in my venture.

I'm wondering if it would make sense for me to modify my ticket to terminate in Pittsfield - it's only $3 more and I can still just get off at Albany. Seems like an opportunity for slightly less volume for the overnight portion of travel at least.
 #1599238  by cle

Do they add cars at Albany for the final stretch to NYC? A 3 car train on this route is shockingly bad.
 #1599248  by Greg Moore

No. 3 coaches isn't unusual. Keep in mind with its usual consist there's also a diner and 2 sleepers. (I htink too there's often a baggage car, but Amtrak has been playing games with the LSL even pre-covid so I'm not 100% sure. The plan at one point was a full baggage on 48/49 and a dorm/baggage on 448/449, but not sure that ever got implemented).

Fully kitted out, the LSL just a few years ago was a fairly long train at times, often something like:
NY Section: Baggage, 2 sleepers, diner, 3 coach
Boston Section: Cafe, sleeper, cafe (and if they ever did it, I'm not sure) a bag/dorm)

So it could often be 9-10 cars long leaving Albany for Chicaogo.
 #1599274  by StLouSteve

>>>
Thank you for the info. I am trying to maintain some degree of social distancing if possible, though I realize the train is likely sold out at some point in my venture.
>>>

A legitimate concern. My suggestion would be to bite the bullet and upgrade to a sleeper. If you consider that you are buying both a hotel room and transportation plus some meals, the cost seems more reasonable. If you need to save a few bucks, you can buy the sleeper until Buf or Roc and then switch to coach.
 #1599293  by CSRR573

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:14 pm
Fully kitted out, the LSL just a few years ago was a fairly long train at times, often something like:
NY Section: Baggage, 2 sleepers, diner, 3 coach
Boston Section: Cafe, sleeper, cafe (and if they ever did it, I'm not sure) a bag/dorm)

So it could often be 9-10 cars long leaving Albany for Chicaogo.
448/449 Is now Usually 2-3 P42s, A V-1 sleeper, business/Cafe Am-1, and a Am2 Coach. I dont ever recall seeing a Bag/Dorm come through Southampton Street S&I
 #1599325  by lordsigma12345

Right now 448/449 is 2 P42, V1 sleeper, Am1 business/cafe, and 2 Am2 coaches. It rotates back and forth between 1 and 2 coaches throughout the year.