Railroad Forums 

• Return of Daily LD Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1597067  by farecard

This is unlikely to be the best thread for this issue but......

In the past I have taken a Saturday night Red-Eye from NYP->WAS.
I recalled a variety of choices available between 8PM and 3AM.
One even laid over in Baltimore so as to arrive at WAS after Metro had started.

But I just looked and there was nothing. Nothing shown in the 1800-midnight block.
And nothing Sunday until 0600.

Sigh..... Must I take a bus?
 #1597078  by STrRedWolf

farecard wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:46 pm This is unlikely to be the best thread for this issue but......

In the past I have taken a Saturday night Red-Eye from NYP->WAS.
I recalled a variety of choices available between 8PM and 3AM.
One even laid over in Baltimore so as to arrive at WAS after Metro had started.

But I just looked and there was nothing. Nothing shown in the 1800-midnight block.
And nothing Sunday until 0600.

Sigh..... Must I take a bus?
Your choice now would of been the Night Owl, aka trains 65/66/67. They are marked as unavailable until September.

NYP to WAS is 3 hours, though. Do you really need a late-night run?
 #1597082  by farecard

Your choice now would of been the Night Owl, aka trains 65/66/67. They are marked as unavailable until September.

NYP to WAS is 3 hours, though. Do you really need a late-night run?
Thanks. The on-line "schedules" are an exercise in frustration.

Why that time? It's the perfect balance between two issues: After $JOB demands end, wanting to spend the afternoon/evening with friends,
and
arriving at WAS while Metro is operating.
 #1598465  by Gilbert B Norman

"Sort of" observed #3(27) yesterday. First priority was a "wrestling match" with a neighbor's Berniedoodle (Bernese Mountain/Poodle X-breed); she won!!

Consist has grown from the previous six to nine cars; additions are a Bagg, T-Dorm, and a Coach.
 #1599034  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #3(3) today.

Yes, one Sleeper has been removed from the consist, but one Coach has been added. Therefore: 2 P-42 Bagg, T-Dorm, Sleeper, Diner, Lounge, 3 Coaches.

"That's all, folks" for the combined Super Chief, El Capitan, City of LA, Challenger, Golden State.
 #1599082  by lordsigma12345

The bag addition and possibly also the third coach is likely largely for the Boy Scouts heading to Philmont. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the full baggage go away again in the fall/winter and a bag coach return.
 #1599110  by STrRedWolf

lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:47 pm The bag addition and possibly also the third coach is likely largely for the Boy Scouts heading to Philmont. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the full baggage go away again in the fall/winter and a bag coach return.
That temporary addition may be going away later on due to troubles the Boy Scouts are having. NPR reports they may be selling camps to settle it's bankruptcy.
 #1599185  by eolesen

Philmont and the other three high adventure bases owned by BSA National won't be going anywhere.

The camps being sold off are at the local Council level, and largely a product of reduced enrollment in Scouting programs as well as mergers between Councils that now have more camps than they can maintain or support.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1600099  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #3(19) today---

Consist was identical to #5, meaning two "PRC's" yet only two Coaches.

PRC - Private Room Cars, might that become Amtrakese? :P

addendum: I have wondered if "standardizing" the consists of 3,4,5,&6 gives Amtrak more flexibility to ensure operational efficiency. Example: what if inbound 4 or 6 is "way late"? Would such give Lumber Street a better chance of getting one or the other next day outbound "out of the gate" on time?

Anyone? Enquiring mind wants to know.
 #1605451  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed #3(26) @ MP 18.7 (from my front yard)

Eight cars Bagg, T-Dorm, 2 "Private Room", Diner, Lounge, 2 Coach.

This appears to be same consist I have previously observed with #5; so possibly they have "standardized" the consist of the two trains.