Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1598295  by markhb

Greg Moore wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:45 pm Railway Age article with lots of good photos.
Neat to see the conductor's office! I don't know about the current NEC or LD's, but on the Downeaster the conductor is typically sitting in the cafe with paper sprawled all over a table.
 #1598318  by 8th Notch

photobug56 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:30 pm I assume this was on older trains, but what about what they showed on A2?
The info on the cndr’s screen is the same on both gen train sets as the above poster stated. It displays the same info as what the engineer can see in the cab. Speedo, brake gauges, car and door status, sub systems, etc etc.
 #1598411  by Greg Moore

Yes, the bathrooms are definitely larger, in part because of ADA requirements to allow a wheelchair to be able to turn a certain amount in the bathroom with the door closed.

https://www.railwayage.com/wp-content/u ... e_4454.jpg shows one.
 #1598423  by bostontrainguy

photobug56 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:57 pm There were bathroom photos, seem far less claustrophobic then what I saw in A1's. Have a bigger train, you can have bigger bathrooms.
Greg Moore wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:48 pm Yes, the bathrooms are definitely larger, in part because of ADA requirements to allow a wheelchair to be able to turn a certain amount in the bathroom with the door closed.
Yes, larger but fewer. One per car vs. two so about half the number as in the A1s.
 #1598443  by R36 Combine Coach

Greg Moore wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:53 pm One thing I really am hopeful for is the use of the toaster (and looks like a convection oven).
The Amfleet IIs have ovens for diner lite service, which allow full meals (not made to order, lacking
full grill).
 #1598444  by bostontrainguy

Matt Johnson wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:51 pm Except there are 9 TGV length cars vs 6 87 ft long cars on Acela I, so more than half the restrooms.
Yeah maybe not quite half but realize that the capacity of the ACELA 1 is 304 and the ACELA II is 378. So a big reduction in bathrooms with a big addition in passengers.