Railroad Forums 

• The Guilford Wreck Train... Photos & Questions

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1566180  by CPF66

I am currently writing a article for a magazine regarding the wreck train(s). I am looking to clarify some information regarding the depressed flatcars/bulldozers, as well as the caboose that is mounted a flatcar. I was wondering if anyone would know the original number of the caboose/what year it was placed into wreck service. As for the flatcars with the bulldozers, I haven't been able to find a clear answer for the heritage (I have found sources stating that the equipment was exB&M, and other sources stating that they came from the MEC). Any information that would help clarify this for me would be greatly appreciated!
 #1568113  by gokeefe

The real story is the age of one of the coaches. Close to 100 years old. The newer looking coach was an L&N "partition" (Jim Crow segregated coach) coach as I recall.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1597662  by CPF66

The former L&N coach, the B&M heavyweights, the former SCL baggage car, and the troop sleeper are all worthy of preservation. Ideally, it would be nice to see all of the equipment saved, considering these are the last two active wreck outfits.
 #1597857  by oibu

Do they still have the B&M bulkhead flat? At this point in time that would certainly we a worthy freight car preservation effort if it is still around.

The dozer flats and their support cars may not fit a "classic paradigm" for preservation, but OTOH how many railroads had this kind of setup and I'm sure there can't be many survivors at this point...
 #1598420  by johnpbarlow

Very interesting flyover of E Deerfield yard! I wonder if CSX has any interest in Pan Am's fleet of snowplows? Also it looks like there is an awful lot of debris/scrap piled in the yard - is this in the process of being cleaned up by Pan Am?

Thanks for posting the link!