Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1597066  by NHV 669

CSRX announced earlier today via their FB page:
Conway Scenic wrote:Sunday, May 22, 2022, we have scheduled a special photographer's Mountaineer over Crawford Notch. This will feature a special schedule with photo run-bys to allow passengers to make staged views of the train.

This will be powered by an unsual combination of 470 Club's former Boston & Maine F7a diesels with one of our locomotives, the precise details of which will be announced on the day of the trip.

The May 22 trip will board at 9am to allow for a longer journey over Crawford.
 #1597234  by NHV 669

Sure, the trip may have been, but the point of the post was to highlight both F7's being on there. That wasn't something that could have been confirmed at the beginning of the year.
 #1597313  by Who

Am I losing my mind, I thought their Railfan's day special was on Saturday, May 21st but now they are showing Sunday May 22nd, did they just change the date or was always on the 22nd?
 #1598086  by p42thedowneaster

Looked like a really great day for railfans of CSRR! So glad to see the railroad willing to run a triple header even with fuel prices soaring! Also a great concession to run the train with non-dynamic equipped locos for the trip downward at the expense of the train's brake equipment! It will be fun to see how they run the 470 special this fall.
 #1598104  by Who

Correct, they use a non-highway diesel fuel, that has been dyed a different color. Really the only difference is, highway diesel has a highway tax applied to it, whereas non highway diesel fuel is taxed differently. The dye is added for inspection purposes, if a DOT officer pulls a truck over for an inspection and they get caught with the wrong fuel, they're in big trouble.
 #1598122  by BandA

I've heard of "bunker fuel", and there are various levels of sulfur and metals. The MBTA seemed to burn some nasty smelling stuff in their diesel locomotives, smelled like burned plastic rather than just diesel exhaust.
 #1598159  by BandA

I'm more worried about heating my home with oil this winter. Maybe need to install a wood furnace. CSRX will probably have to increase ticket prices to cover fuel and other inflation.
 #1598383  by newpylong

BandA wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:35 pm I've heard of "bunker fuel", and there are various levels of sulfur and metals. The MBTA seemed to burn some nasty smelling stuff in their diesel locomotives, smelled like burned plastic rather than just diesel exhaust.
Off-road (red dyed diesel) is now identical to Highway ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel), no chemical difference. In the past, it did have higher sulfur content. So they are burning the same as everyone else including road vehicles.
 #1598498  by hillsboyro

Any word on ST 72? I can't think of any locomotives preserved or otherwise in the BM white and blue. ST72 would be a great addition to be repainted.