Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Rebuilding for the Future Updates

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1598273  by MACTRAXX

S5: This may be just a construction delay issue backing the opening date up 7 weeks... which is about 3 months from now...Supply chains could be a part as RCT mentions...

Bad news would be that the opening of the new extension from Elwyn to Middletown is delayed indefinitely (example)...
MACTRAXX
 #1598329  by R36 Combine Coach

Given Wawa corporate HQ down the road (U.S. 1) and also their creamery and processing plant nearby, would be
fitting to have a Wawa inside the station (not a full store, but coffee and bakery counter only).

Now wondering if Wawa was a PRR customer in the day for creamery shipments.
 #1598338  by scratchyX1

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 pm Given Wawa corporate HQ down the road (U.S. 1) and also their creamery and processing plant nearby, would be
fitting to have a Wawa inside the station (not a full store, but coffee and bakery counter only).

Now wondering if Wawa was a PRR customer in the day for creamery shipments.
I've been wondering if the station will have a Wawa inside.
I did notice in maps, very poor pedestrian connections to the area.
 #1598360  by JeffK

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:59 pm Yes. The Wawa chain in Florida started in PA as Wawa Dairy Farms.
They were local to SE PA for a long time, then started to expand* a few decades ago. New store territories were contiguous (DE, MD, DC) until they found there was demand from Philly ex-pats in Florida.
You should go inside some time, they have quite good food.
Definitely. They have a wider variety than typical convenience stores with more "real" food like soups and salads versus pre-processed. Hoagies are a specialty.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled rail discussions :-D
==================
* They intentionally stay out of central to west PA, though. But no Sheetz, that's another thread in itself.
 #1598361  by scratchyX1

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:17 pm Station is officially called Wawa again. Delayed because C&S can't get their end finished due to late shipments of signals and signal huts.
It looks like all catenary supports west of Elwyn were replaced, and a sizable layover yard constructed at Wawa.
 #1598368  by 93r8g7

The problem with option 3 is SEPTA is taking the back seat to AmTrash once again, letting them run service to Harrisburg, Baltimore, Lancaster, etc, when it should be SEPTA that runs that service using it's trains in addition to the current AmTrash service. Thee exists no reason why SEPTA can't run their trains there. This organization is so anti-expansion, and so subservient to AmTrash it's beyond disgusting. Combine plans 1 and 3 with additional SEPTA service to these destinations, and you have a fairly solid plan.
 #1598374  by mcgrath618

Have you ridden the Keystone before? It's quite a nice train.

The Pennsylvanian is also quite nice. I've never been later than half an hour, and the delays have always been NS's fault.

I also think all of the NEC services are quite nice. So I don't really get the argument that SEPTA somehow would provide better service, and I work there.
 #1598381  by mcgrath618

I actually disagree in this one case. SEPTA historically served Reading. They should continue to do so (never should have stopped, really).
If I had to take a guess the Reading service will pan out like the ACL: Amtrak hands it off to the local agency a few years after it starts.