Railroad Forums 

• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1598346  by nydepot

You've already described it all. Posting photos won't make it worse.
Littlefoot14 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 pm The locomotives are no longer in the woods, the land around them is completely clear cut, and a very obvious effort has been made to make access for heavy equipment right next to the locomotives. When someone tells me it’s okay to post photographs I will, either a moderator or someone that is working on this project, but for now I don’t want there to be any chance what so ever of me ruining anything with these.
 #1598348  by BR&P

ConstanceR46 wrote:
what do you mean by not in the woods; are they gone or just repositioned
Read it again - the area has been clear-cut. The equipment has not moved, it's the woods that is gone.

And if the public can see the area, why would posting pics be a problem?
 #1598366  by taracer

You can see the area has been cut, but you still can't see the equipemt from the road. You'd have to hike in from the road on what I'd guess is private property. The road is higher than the equipment, and there are still woods right next to the road.

The public still cannot see the equipment from a public area.
 #1598390  by NHV 669

Looks like a combo of larger diameter rocks/gravel spread lightly with the same mats local companies use when working on powerline RoWs up this way. Should be good enough to get heavy equipment in there. Seen it done on our sugarhouse property by the utility company, and it sure helps avoid getting stuck.
 #1598391  by jurtz

Thanks for the photo, Littlefoot. I don’t know how it will turn out, but it looks like we will soon have a final resolution of a 15 year old discussion topic!

Please keep us posted, with or without photos.
 #1598393  by nessman

Littlefoot14 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:57 am I’m having a hard time posting any more photos. Those access mats lead right to the rail line that used to lead into the power plant. If someone else wants to post the rest of them send me a PM with your email.
PM sent.
 #1598394  by nessman

The mats to get in were likely for the tree removal company. Still nothing you want to use to try and haul out a 235,000 and a 285,000 lb locomotive out on. Not only is the ground too soft, but the grade going up the hill to the road is too steep.

The PSEG property is the only viable way out - and it's going to take a lot of convincing to get access through there, build a temporary heavy haul road and a staging area for the heavy haul equipment. 100% risk and zero benefit to the power plant.

So far no preparation has been made to get those engines out of there.
 #1598402  by Littlefoot14

Those of you that have messaged me your emails, I have emailed you some more of the photos.

There is one specific photo that very clearly shows the mats leading towards the rail line, with some prep work done on the hill and the trees only removed along a specific section. There’s an orange fence blocking what I’m assuming is some sort of environmental concern. Is the rail line where the mats are leading to the same rail line where the bridge collapsed? I’m wondering why the mats lead to those rails, the fence is intact in front of them so the tree removal equipment didn’t come in that way, and if that line is the one with the washed out bridge, they didn’t come in that way either.

In a second photo, you can see how far that gravel access road goes along the water, so I’m not really sure what the thought process is. As a tractor trailer driver myself, that turn around in front of the locomotives is awful convenient looking, but without much for scale it looks kind of tight to be spinning any low boy large enough to haul out a locomotive on.

I live a few hours north and will not be able to return for a long while, so unfortunately I cannot continue to update with photos.
 #1598404  by nessman

LittleFoot14's photos 1/3...
Attachments:
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
Last edited by nessman on Thu May 26, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1598405  by nessman

LittleFoot14's photos 2/3...
Attachments:
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1014 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1014 times
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1014 times
Last edited by nessman on Thu May 26, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.