Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1597115  by R&DB

#1597108 by JohnFromJersey
Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm
Conrail did only what was necessary to keep the line open to Lakehurst. They abondoned everything below there. The Lakehurst to Woodmansie stretch eventually was purchased by Clayton, who interchaged with Conrail at Lakehurst. From Red Bank to Lakehurst only got a few tie replacements after 1976 and only where drastically needed.
From Woodmansie to Winslow had no business and everything below Winslow could be routed through Pavonia.
 #1597118  by R&DB

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:59 pm @R&DB I’ve been hearing that Conrail was told not to close Lakewood to Lakehurst and did so regardless…
No business below Lakewood. Occasional propane tanker and we all know about the Builders General deal.
 #1597120  by Bracdude181

No, as in they were supposed to leave it open for the military and because Seashore Lines was getting started on their sand train project is what I’ve been hearing.
 #1597128  by OCtrainguy

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:01 pm
R&DB wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:06 pm
y JohnFromJersey » Thu May 05, 2022 3:54 pm
John, the Southern was in good shape until the 1960s. Remember the Blue Comet used to run along it at 80 mph in the 1930s.
I thought it was rebuilt in the 70's? I have heard it multiple times in this thread that shortly after the Conrail takeover, Conrail rebuilt the whole line.
The MOW department was one of the groups hit the hardest as the CNJ's financial woes worsened. I don't recall a Conrail rebuild, but do remember seeing photos from the 'Trail of the Blue Comet' book that the CNJ did do some track/tie work on the Southern in preparation for Conrail starting up. That was either '74 or '75.
 #1597130  by Bracdude181

@OCtrainguy Yup! That was done under a rail grant in anticipation for Conrail. They had to fix the track because of how bad it was.

SA31 approaching Downtown Farmingdale 9:45 PM
 #1597131  by OCtrainguy

With respect to the spur for the Lakehurst naval base, that rail connection, and McGuire and Fort Dix combining with Lakehurst, helped save those bases from being closed.

But, if there is something needed for the Joint Base group via rail, it isn't happening anytime soon. :-)
 #1597133  by Bracdude181

@OCtrainguy for a short while 3 years ago I was hearing they wanted to start moving toxic waste out of there again but that clearly hasn’t happened.

What about Earle? When are they replacing all their 1940s and 1950s era boxcars?
 #1597141  by R&DB

The MDL joint base spur only extends a couple hundred yards into the base. It's miles from there to Ft. Dix and McGuire. The spur was last used hauling out radioactive waste from the old Bomarc missile accident site in the early 2000s.My personal opinion is Union Transportation should have been included in Conrail fpr use of the military in Ft Dix.
But in the NJT MOM plan the spur would be expanded into a small NJT yard to store trains overnight.