• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by EastYorkTrainFaan

Jonathan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:16 am One thing that Conway should have done last year was put 4266 on the valley.... now, with 4268 coming back, i'd expect 4266/4268 to be in use on the valley more often. I also talked with someone from Conway Scenic who says they are hoping for late spring to see a return for ol' 7470.
They don't like to use 4266 on her own because when its in reverse its hard for the engineer to be able to see, they either have to have someone at the back door looking out or have a second engine.
  by CSRR573

Was up that way this past weekend, does anyone know what they're doing along the mountain division by the n/s road?
  by p42thedowneaster

wrote: They don't like to use 4266 on her own because when its in reverse its hard for the engineer to be able to see, they either have to have someone at the back door looking out or have a second engine.
Having them together doesn't cure all, but it sure is better! Just running any of the engines back-back tends to mess with the rhythm on the valley. Heading east, puts the engineer on the opposite side of the cab (than usual). This effects the crew making the hitch at Bartlett/Sawyers, or uncoupling at Conway with hand signals. At least on the GPs you can climb over easily to get on the engineer's side. The other downside is the engineer's visibility coming into N. Conway station from the east.
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

True but that's an issue that they have with any engine although I think I saw somwher that 216 has duel controll satnnds or is it 252 and 255 that have them? I know that one of the notch engines has them but can't remember which it was.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by p42thedowneaster

CSRR573 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:37 pm Was up that way this past weekend, does anyone know what they're doing along the mountain division by the n/s road?
Are you referring to the area around the siding? (Kearsarge St. siding, I think its called). They had photos on facebook recently showing them loading crushed stone into the ballast hoppers in what appeared to be that location. The ballast was for general track maintenance throughout the line.
  by CSRR573

No further down by pudding pond heading towards walmart. Looks like theyre putting another road in between the road and the tracks
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by NHV 669

Here's 4268, leading the return trip from Sawyer's River today, at Cobb Farm Road in Bartlett:

https://youtu.be/pkrCf5-wZQY

It was nice to not have to contend with a dozen tripods. Good to see Brian (B&M 1566) and his better half out there, along with a father/son combo.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by ericofmaine

Whoa, slow down there. 4266 needs some LONG overdue attention, first.

Eric
  by robmcalpine

Anyone know where I can purchase the book: "Life by the tracks" by Virginia C. Downs?

Thanks,
Rob
  by highrail

quick web search...amazon or abebooks: $60.00. If you are in the NH area, check libraries in North Conway and Bartlett
  by robmcalpine

Thanks folks..
"Some vendors seem to think this book is rare and highly collectible and offerings are priced outrageously. Amazon in particular is ridiculous."
This is the reason I asked the question here..