• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Jonathan

One thing that Conway should have done last year was put 4266 on the valley.... now, with 4268 coming back, i'd expect 4266/4268 to be in use on the valley more often. I also talked with someone from Conway Scenic who says they are hoping for late spring to see a return for ol' 7470.
  by troffey

Jonathan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:16 am One thing that Conway should have done last year was put 4266 on the valley.... now, with 4268 coming back, i'd expect 4266/4268 to be in use on the valley more often. I also talked with someone from Conway Scenic who says they are hoping for late spring to see a return for ol' 7470.
It's important to remember that Conway doesn't own the 4266 or 4268, so it isn't entirely up to them how much or when they run.

Regarding the restorations, 501 is owned by the Railroad while 72 is owned by the 470 club, so couldn't both be under restoration at the same time? The obvious constraint is shop space, if 7470 is in her home and 72 and 501 each take up a bay, you run out of roundhouse space quick.
  by b&m 1566

That's not the case at all with the 4266 and soon to be 4268. The railroad can use them however they see fit.
  by Reader#108

That is actually not the case. The 470 Club determines the usage of the equipment, and has actually placed restrictions on usage due to mechanical or operational issues in the past. When you don't actually own something, you can't zealously overlord no matter what this owner wants to do with the rest of the stuff.
  by ericofmaine

Umm, no. It is (4266) and will be (4268) leased to Conway Scenic. There are no restrictions on their use. A couple of years ago, 4266 was used almost daily due to issue's they had with some of their locomotives.

They don't use them much as they have, currently, plenty of their own power.

Eric
  by BandA

If you lease something it behooves you to work the heck out of it, unless there are caps on hours or miles. I assume stuff like that is standard in contracts.
  by p42thedowneaster

CSRX announced today that the 470 club will be providing special motive power for the Valley Train: both Conway and Sawyers River excursions on Sunday, April 24th.
  by Jonathan

I think they're gonna have 4266 and 4268 as the lashup that day. Maybe they'd have 573 in between them.
  by b&m 1566

I just learned that 2820, was recently scrapped, is this true?
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

Was that the one that was the donor engine for 4268? If so it was always planned to be scrapped as it was only being used for its engine.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by NHV 669

Nope, that was NHN 1757, which came with FGLK 1751. The scrapping of that unit was already mentioned in this thread when it occurred. This unit left the property around the time 1757 showed up to head to FGLK, which was what, close to 10 years ago? RRpictureArchives notes 2820 was scrapped towards the end of November.
  by b&m 1566

EastYorktrainFaan - #2820 was a GE U23B, that operated on the Conway Scenic in 2006 & 2007 before the crankshaft gave out. In order for the unit to run again they would have needed to replace the engine block as the damage was unrepairable. They ended up trading it to the Finger Lakes Railway for a GP9. A similar failure happened to the GP38 #252 (I think it was a piston rod that broke) but they were able to repair that. Repairs to those types of catastrophic failures are rare, #252 was a lucky one #2820 was not so lucky.
  by MEC407

by EastYorkTrainFaan

ah ok I wasn't aware that someone was talking about an engine that they no longer owned.