Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1595119  by Gilbert B Norman

Here's the Railway Age article reporting that Fourth Quarter '23 is the current "guesstimate" for inauguration of Acela 2 sets. This development was first noted by Mr. McGrath within his immediate on the preceeding page:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/hi ... =passenger

Well, Joe will just have to survive as POTUS46 until then so he can have his farewell to Washington and public life ride aboard such (I don't think the Secret Service will deprive a Former President).
 #1595129  by Ken W2KB

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:27 pm Here's the Railway Age article reporting that Fourth Quarter '23 is the current "guesstimate" for inauguration of Acela 2 sets. This development was first noted by Mr. McGrath within his immediate on the preceeding page:

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/hi ... =passenger

Well, Joe will just have to survive as POTUS46 until then so he can have his farewell to Washington and public life ride aboard such (I don't think the Secret Service will deprive a Former President).
I would not object to my taxpayer dollars to be expended for the extra cost of this Amtrak journey versus the usual air travel to Wilmington. I receive email notices of the temporary flight restrictions more or less weekly for POTUS travel.
 #1595265  by Pensyfan19

Very detailed article explaining the delays of the Acela 23.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... eployment/
HORNELL, N.Y. — Testing of Amtrak’s next-generation Acela trainsets on the Northeast Corridor has shown that further modifications will be necessary, pushing back the date the equipment will be placed in service because additional testing will be necessary.

Amtrak revealed last week at a Philadelphia media event that the first of the 28 nine-unit trainsets being built by Alstom are not expected to enter revenue service until sometime in 2023. [see “News photos: Amtrak releases images of interiors for new Acelas,” Trains News Wire, April 1, 2022]. The debut originally expected in 2021 had been pushed back last year.

Amtrak says further computer modeling and simulation tests are required, explaining in a statement, “These are the first trainsets built under FRA’s Tier III rule, which sets new design specifications to allow for operation at the highest speeds and on shared corridors. We hope this will be the first of many trains built under this new framework and that the lessons learned here will benefit those efforts.”
 #1595287  by scratchyX1

photobug56 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:45 pm While the article still leaves a lot for speculation, at least it gives some idea of what this mess is about. Being the pioneer with new tech on an old, run down railroad, is not simple.
I had a feeling that the 110 year old catanery didn't play nice with 21st century gear.
 #1595289  by photobug56

Several decades of starving a major rail line of sufficient capital funding doesn't help. Fix a broken piece here or there, even update parts of it, and you still have a rather ancient infrastructure. In contrast, with most high speed rail lines, they started out with up to date infrastructure to match the equipment. This is a system built for steam and early electrics.