Railroad Forums 

• Syracuse Amtrak Station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1594037  by jr

I was curious about what is available within walking distance, of the Syracuse Amtrak station (shops, restaurants, etc). Asking for a friend who wants to take her grandkid on a train ride for a few hours.

Thanks in advance,

JR
 #1594050  by lvrr325

On the weekends the Regional Market is open across the street. Saturday farmer's market, Sunday flea market. Market Diner is open for breakfast and lunch.

There is a café with adoptable cats in the Market Commons, open 11-4 most days except Monday.

On the other side of the Market is a Wendys but I don't believe they open their dining room.

One could walk to Destiny USA but it's not the easiest place to cross the roads to get in there. This is a huge shopping mall with food court.

I would suggest using Google or Bing Maps and using the street view options to have a good idea of the layout of things.
 #1594324  by videobruce

Unlike Rensselaer, Buffalo, Rochester, Utica & Syracuse all are located in the downtown core with plenty of things to see, go to and do! :wink:
 #1594352  by SST

Why don't you try Utica? I haven't been there in a couple years, but there is/was a restaurant right in the station. The station itself is worth the ride. There are other restaurants in the immediate area also.
 #1594482  by MarkT

Nice thread timing. I've thought of taking the Lake Shore Limited EB, hang out a few hours or more, then take the Empire back to Depew. Haven't picked a destination. My only concern being the LSL running late and messing up my connection back
 #1594487  by jurtz

You are right about the volatility of the LSL schedule. I'd stick with the Empire Service trains. 284 will get you to Syracuse about 10:00 AM, leaving plenty of time to explore.
 #1594631  by lvrr325

videobruce wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:15 am Unlike Rensselaer, Buffalo, Rochester, Utica & Syracuse all are located in the downtown core with plenty of things to see, go to and do! :wink:
Syracuse's station is hardly near downtown; it's a good two miles west of the downtown zone. Had Ontrack been able to complete a connection and serve it's intended purpose, you might have an easy connection to go there, or even just to ride over to the mall platform. About the only other thing within an easy walk I didn't mention is the baseball stadium; I don't know if you can work out a set of connections that would let you attend a game without an overnight stay.

Someone mentioned to try Utica; the restaurant is primarily a dinner place - it's not open during the train show held there each January. There is another restaurant I think nearby. Kids may be interested in the Childrens Museum next door, but aside from that you'll be walking a few blocks to do anything.

Rochester is located in a lousy part of downtown.
 #1594650  by SST

When I went to Utica 7 years ago [geez time is flying!], I attended the train show there and the restaurant was open and I ended up having a HUGE pasta dish. Their website says they are open during lunch and later for dinner depending on the day.
Check here before you go: http://tracksidecatering.com/
Perhaps its open with the relaxation of wearing a mask

Childrens Museum is closed: https://uticacm.org/

Walking the city blocks of Utica and finding a place to eat [outside of the station] will be more enjoyable than walking through a huge empty parking lot in Syracuse.

I agree with you about Rochester.
 #1595423  by lvrr325

Pretty much it boils down to pull up your map application of choice and have it show you what's around and give you walking directions to each one.
 #1595450  by nkloudon

A few years ago, I got a very good haircut in the Utica station barbershop, while being regaled by the barber with a list of all the famous personalities that had stopped there. It's unfortunate that there are no convenient connections between Amtrak and the Adirondack Scenic.
 #1595452  by scratchyX1

nkloudon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:28 am A few years ago, I got a very good haircut in the Utica station barbershop, while being regaled by the barber with a list of all the famous personalities that had stopped there. It's unfortunate that there are no convenient connections between Amtrak and the Adirondack Scenic.
Wait, don't they both use the same station?
 #1595454  by jurtz

nkloudon wrote:It's unfortunate that there are no convenient connections between Amtrak and the Adirondack Scenic.
If you are coming from the west and if you want to ride the all-day Adirondack Scenic trip from Thendara to Utica and back, you can arrive in Utica on Amtrak 280 at 8:01 AM, for the Scenic departure at 9:30. The Scenic train will return to Utica about 7:00 PM and Amtrak 48 heads west from Utica at 8:50 PM. That is a long day of train riding, but doable.

From the east, you are right, there is no good way to make a connection without staying overnight in Utica.