Railroad Forums 

• MARC IIIs going down south

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1591835  by STrRedWolf

Just saw the video from Virtual Railfan here:

https://youtu.be/fXQQ2sVyIkQ

Wait... what... why are two MARC III cars doing heading south? They aren't birds! 7828 and 7847 (cab). Caught on a freight in Roanoke, VA and Jonesborough, TN.
 #1591875  by danib62

Do you care to share a timestamp so we don't need to watch an entire 10+ minute video?
 #1591876  by danib62

Oh lol it's right in the beginning folks
 #1591940  by Pensyfan19

Is there any plant or company "down south" who rebuilds coaches like the MARC III? Roanoke shops would be the closest, but they're unlikely to rebuild these coaches. This is also going out on a long shot, but could they be brought down for some sort of test train for future service nearby?
 #1591956  by scratchyX1

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:38 am Is there any plant or company "down south" who rebuilds coaches like the MARC III? Roanoke shops would be the closest, but they're unlikely to rebuild these coaches. This is also going out on a long shot, but could they be brought down for some sort of test train for future service nearby?
I couldn't tell, were either cab cars?
 #1591987  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:27 am
Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:38 am Is there any plant or company "down south" who rebuilds coaches like the MARC III? Roanoke shops would be the closest, but they're unlikely to rebuild these coaches. This is also going out on a long shot, but could they be brought down for some sort of test train for future service nearby?
I couldn't tell, were either cab cars?
One of them was, 7847. I looked it up myself. It also went past Roanoke and into Tennessee. I did trace the line as far as I could to a NS yard and found a scrapper along the way... thus why I ask.
 #1593078  by susan

They weren't heading south to be scrapped last month. They just passed through Arlington, VA at the end of a long CSX freight. Testing for future service seems more likely. Especially since they looked pretty clean & shiny as they went by.
 #1593084  by KTHW

Two more MARC III cars passed me at Cherry Hill on the RF&P today at the back of a mixed freight. Anyone know where they are all going?
 #1593096  by ConstanceR46

Optimistically, resold somewhere.

Realistically, they've been defacto retired for the past few years except for lease service. I think there's a good bet the time's up for them.
 #1593108  by KTHW

Scrapping them seems short sided given that MARC hasn’t ordered new cars recently, are still running some of the older MARC II cars, and AFAIK the MARC IV cars are not authorized for 125mph service.
 #1593144  by KTHW

Makes more sense to me, but I figured Amtrak would test with single level fleets, like I assume they will use for real service.
 #1593152  by STrRedWolf

KTHW wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:04 pm Makes more sense to me, but I figured Amtrak would test with single level fleets, like I assume they will use for real service.
Didn't the Superliners go through this area when the Sunset Limited ran through here?