Railroad Forums 

• Old Delaware & Hudson Line Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1592735  by afleetcommand

Does CP still run trains on this and is the "Belden Tunnel" still an active part of the CP line? Would like to get some video IF I could time it when a train goes up that hill...IF they still do.

Thanks in advance :)
 #1592807  by cjvrr

afleetcommand wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:49 pm Thank you, even thru the tunnel?
CP doesn't came any further south than Mechanicsville and Albany.

NS purchased the line from Mechanicville south to Scranton back in 2015.

So no CP units through Belden tunnel
 #1593225  by afleetcommand

I've seen a LOT of investment going into the Massena line from Syracuse North. Wonder if CSX is going to upgrade that all the way to Montreal :) I also wonder if Halifax will begin to compete with the eastern US ports after this year of BS with our ports. Would a CSX from Montreal to Syracuse, NYS&W to Binghamton, be able to compete with the old D&H line ?
 #1593228  by NHV 669

They'd have to reach Montreal first; active track stops at Beauharnois. It seems they have interchanges with CN at Massena, NY and Huntingdon, QC.

You're talking 3 carriers, vs. 2 (CP/NS), as well as more than one interchange. I can't imagine that being competitive, let alone cost efficient, other than NS' crew issues.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1593235  by lvrr325

Will never happen. CSX was set to sell from MP 3 north to CN (plus trackage rights to Dewitt and Belle Isle yards) but insisted on a permanent paper barrier to interchange with NYS&W and Finger Lakes. Could not get it approved, FRA wanted it changed to allow for a future possibility. Have not heard any further since.

Now CSX does own a chunk of NYS&W so why they don't want this is a mystery to me but so be it.
 #1593335  by afleetcommand

Both CSX & NS have a "chunk" of NYS&W. A shared burden or opportunity. With CSX trying to finish off the purchase of PanAm , looks like their desire to invest in the north country has an actions speaks louder thana speculation look and feel.