Railroad Forums 

• ADM/Great Northern silos-Buffalo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1590274  by eolesen

What does ADM ultimately want to do with the property? Selling is only an option if there's another property commensurate with their objectives, and I'd guess there isn't anything else on the canal for sale.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1590296  by videobruce

If this was on a separate piece of property, away from their active operations, it might be a different story. No idea what they would have planned for the space this occupies, but I still content it's nothing but a liability for everyone involved including traffic on Ganson St. if another wall would collapse. The only fast use for the land would be additional room for trailer parking or storage.

And I rarely take the side of corporations..........
 #1590429  by nessman

It's a structure engineered and built for a single purpose - transloading grain to/from ship and train. Redeveloping it would cost untold millions. Making it a museum would have staggering preservation, restoration and operating costs - not to mention the liability.

Plus as a museum, who's the target demographic and market? Too niche for widespread appeal to attract enough people who's admission fees would sustain the operation. Just not practical.

The time to save it was decades ago - but even then, it's owners were trying to get it demolished because of structural issues.
 #1601624  by Fireman43

Once again a judge has determined the building can be demolished.
In the article the company says they can preserve a number of articles
“ Among the items that may be feasible to preserve from the grain elevator are a small bin, the locomotive, the spiral staircase and repurposed bricks”

Is there a captive yard engine?
 #1601626  by videobruce

Never saw one except for a wheeled car mover, not a locomotive.
 #1601965  by SST

While I certainly understand the financial drag it would cause, Buffalo is so good at erasing our individual history there won’t be anything left.

I suppose that if ADM is going to expand the facility then it wouldn’t bite so much.

We’ll have to wait and see.
 #1607865  by videobruce

FYI; They have started tearing down the building a couple of weeks ago starting with hose interior 'tanks'.
 #1608040  by SST

Here are a few pics from todays drive by:

The funny thing with this is I don’t think this is as weak as ADM claims. Look at my first posting and pic. Last December and still standing. No epic collapse.
 #1608078  by videobruce

Can't wait until they start on the river side.
 #1608098  by SST

I'm wondering if they'll wait until all the sailboats are pulled from the water across from the elevator? Usually October 15th is the "pull them out of the water" date.
 #1608145  by SST

Tonight I took my last sunset run on the boat. It comes out of the water tommorow. While cruising back to my slip I noticed the moon over Great Northern. This is a crappy picture but this is likely the last time a full moon is over the Great Northern. (iPhone XR)