Railroad Forums 

• Intermodal Scrap?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1589809  by NotYou

This is pure armchair speculation, but I would guess a few possible reasons:
- car availability: Maybe containers were more readily available than gondolas. With the supply chain being all sorts of crazy these days it wouldn't surprise me.
- density: See they are double stacked. Maybe a well car with a double stack of two containers packed with scrap holds more than a single level gondola of scrap.
- intermodal: Maybe the scrap containers will be moved to trucks to haul the last mile; esp if the client(s) don't have direct rail access.
 #1589815  by Bracdude181

I have seen intermodal containers be loaded with scrap to be shipped overseas on the internet.

I can only assume this is being done because the scrapyard where this metal is bound for doesn’t have a rail connection, or is not located in the mainland United States
 #1589821  by eolesen

Lot of scrap metal exported to China historically. Not as many finished goods head that direction so this is better than moving empty containers.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1589836  by ccutler

They aren't loaded with scrap metal. They appear to be loaded with scrap wood and tires. The loads travel between Piscataway and a short line in North Carolina, presumably burned to generate "green" electricity. However, I really don't know for sure which way the loads are going. They could be drayed to the Port Newark for all I know, or shipped from NJ and burned for electricity in North Carolina.
 #1589870  by R&DB

Or is it perhaps the rail line the cars will transit don't like gons (ie: NJT)?
 #1589871  by GSC

Ex-NJT Fat Body? Unique shot, with that OOS section over the diamond.
 #1589925  by JohnFromJersey

GSC wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 am Ex-NJT Fat Body? Unique shot, with that OOS section over the diamond.
Anyone have a location of the shot and a history of the OOS diamond?
 #1589947  by eolesen

ccutler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:09 am They aren't loaded with scrap metal. They appear to be loaded with scrap wood and tires. The loads travel between Piscataway and a short line in North Carolina, presumably burned to generate "green" electricity. However, I really don't know for sure which way the loads are going. They could be drayed to the Port Newark for all I know, or shipped from NJ and burned for electricity in North Carolina.
Sorry, when I see scrap I assume recyclable metal.

Wood and tires sounds more like trash...
 #1589962  by Sir Ray

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 pm Anyone have a location of the shot and a history of the OOS diamond?
i believe it is the diamond in this Google Aerial image a little north of Normandy Drive near the Kinkisharyo plant. The track crossing the siding serving Kinkisharyo continued west across Baekeland (as can be seen in the aerial view - that intersection is now paved over) and kept going west (crossing over Baekeland again as the road turned north) to what is now a Best Buy center (so no rail freight service there now). If you use the magic Google time-slice view you can see in the 2007 image (alas, in the trademark Google 'Potato Camera quality' of that period) a large industrial facility with several covered hoppers on a siding - so the crossing was taken out of service between 2007 and 2018.
 #1593214  by steve coraggio

A very nice shot of the engine from Kinkisharyo. An old set of track diagrams would be helpful to see where these tracks went at one time, when the Reading operated this line.
The cut off diamond as mentioned by GSC here. I have been in this area once or twice some old track still around. Also catching something Kinkisharyo is good too.